Tim Burton, anyone?

technicolordreamer

Anyone here a TIm Burton fan? He happens to be my favorite director and the sad thing is most aren't familiar with him, so I don't usually get to discuss him with others often. It would make me quite happy to be able to discuss him with someone as into film as I am. I am open to any thoughts negative or postive.

[/size]

• Premium Member

I enjoy his films visually, especially "Sleepy Hollow". I notice from the trailers that "Lemony Snicketts: A Series of Unfortunate Events" or whatever it's called is heavily influenced by Burton. Burton's best film is probably one his first, the short film "Vincent".

I can't wait to see what he does with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I don't think Philippe Rousselot is the right DP for that project. Rousselot is great when working with natural light (Emerald Forest, A River Runs Through It), but I think that someone like Emmanuel Lubezki (Sleepy Hollow) could do a better job for Burton in a studio shot.

I didn't like too much the photography on Planet of the Apes or Big Fish either, though Big Fish had some interesting compositions and camera angles.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Yeh he's good. I liked "Beetlejuice" and "Mars Attacks". (Quite simply because it starred Natalie Portman but that?s another matter)

EDIT_

Did he make the film "The Nightmare before Christmas? ?

Edited by ashleysmithd

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Man I loved that film "The Nightmare before Christmas". Well I did when I was younger anyway. It's the theme and the visual art of it all. For one, Halloween and Christmas both involve excitement. So, he's whacked both of them together and prettied it by adding colourful lighting. It just looks really exciting, I was sucked in when I saw a preview of it, I just took one look at the Christmas scenes and bang I knew I wanted to see it.

Edward Scissor Hands, I forgot that one. Yeh it's not bad, not my favourite though. My favourite film by him has got to be either Mars Attacks or Beetlejuice.

Burton produced Nightmare, he didn't direct it.

I think Burton is abysmally overrated and cannot tell a story to save his life. Certainly slabbed a load of post modern form obsession into Hollywood which dogged us down with all of these quirky students believing they are creating irony from scratch.

I love Mars Attacks, Beetlejuice and Ed wood (all, especially the latter, his best films) but that was down to their scripts and the fact Burton had something to say with them.

His Batman films are utterly deplorable- I can only stomach the first one and that's down to it's production values (pertinent to this forum, perfect cinematography by Roger Pratt that Stefan Czapsky managed to ruin in the sequel).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey all, im from the UK and am currently doing a film studies auteur project on tim burton. my focus question is something along the lines of how tim tends to create main villains as anti heroes. Because i have to provide primary research(asking other people, or contacting tim/forums), could anyone please comment on this focus question so i can print them to put in my folder? thankyou very much!! :D

• 3 months later...

Anyone here a TIm Burton fan? He happens to be my favorite director and the sad thing is most aren't familiar with him, so I don't usually get to discuss him with others often. It would make me quite happy to be able to discuss him with someone as into film as I am. I am open to any thoughts negative or postive.

[/size]

I love Tim Burton! My two favorites are Edward Sissorshands and Big Fish. I also am a HUDGE Danny Elfman fan and Edward Sissorshands has a wonderful score.

Edited by jordankersten

• Premium Member

I like to think of Tim Burton as a very good production designer! He still has to convince me that he can tell an enganging story with a beginning, middle and end. I'll keep watching, though. Some day he'll make it...

Edited by AdamFrisch

• Premium Member
I have Jack Skellington tattooed on my arm, does that answer your question?  :lol:

I like a lot of his films, they all have a very cool look to them. He's not afraid to do crazy things and I think that makes him unique. A lot of people tend to do things that are "safe" and I think it hurts their work. Burton does things that are very out of the box as far as big budget hollywood has been going the last several years.

I think my favorite of his is Big Fish. I just love that story.

I also love big fish...my favorite thing about tim burton is his imagination. I like the worlds and environments he creates in his films...Im anxious to see how Charlie and the Chocolate Factory turns out..although I think it would have been better if he had done a film on how Charlie is running the factory theses days... :lol:

• Premium Member
I also love big fish...my favorite thing about tim burton is his imagination.  I like the worlds and environments he creates in his films...Im anxious to see how Charlie and the Chocolate Factory turns out..although I think it would have been better if he had done a film on how Charlie is running the factory theses days... :lol:

Yeah, I don't know how it'll be to try and remake a classic.

• Premium Member
Yeah, I don't know how it'll be to try and remake a classic.

You mean, like Planet of the Apes? <_<

I'm glad that with Big Fish he could finally match his vision and manner of storytelling to a story OTHER than the same one he'd been re-working for many of his other films -- the lonely, sensitive misunderstood soul who bears a physical resemblance to Mr Burton himself... (Scissorhands, Batman, Sleepy Hollow, Nightmare...) He's got a tremendous visual style (mostly in production design) that was in search of the right story, and I think Big Fish was it.

Ed Wood seems like an anomaly in his career, but a hysterical film.

As a bit of trivia, early in my career I was an extra in Edward Scissorhands and got to spend a couple nights on set with Burton, Depp and Rider. It was fun to be a "fly on the wall" and watch this man direct. I'm actually visible in the film! :P

You mean, like Planet of the Apes? <_<

I'm glad that with Big Fish he could finally match his vision and manner of storytelling to a story OTHER than the same one he'd been re-working for many of his other films -- the lonely, sensitive misunderstood soul who bears a physical resemblance to Mr Burton himself... (Scissorhands, Batman, Sleepy Hollow, Nightmare...) He's got a tremendous visual style (mostly in production design) that was in search of the right story, and I think Big Fish was it.

Ed Wood seems like an anomaly in his career, but a hysterical film.

As a bit of trivia, early in my career I was an extra in Edward Scissorhands and got to spend a couple nights on set with Burton, Depp and Rider. It was fun to be a "fly on the wall" and watch this man direct. I'm actually visible in the film!  :P

"He's got a tremendous visual style (mostly in production design) that was in search of the right story, and I think Big Fish was it."

I agree, his films are visually amazing...what part of Edward Scissorshands were you in???

• Premium Member
I agree, his films are visually amazing...what part of Edward Scissorshands were you in???

It's the night scene where Edward pulls the boy out of the way of Anthony Michael Hall's van, and accidentally starts scratching him and the kid starts screaming. All the neighbors come out to see what's going on, the police arrive, and chase Edward off to his castle (leading up to the climax). I'm one of the "neighbors," actually playing two different people via a wardrobe change. Funny thing is they did three takes of the big crane up shot, and they used the one where Depp slightly "nicks" me in the arm with his scissors as he runs past...

Production did a real number on that neighborhood; it was a brand new subdivision that was largely empty, so they could pretty much take over. They painted all those houses those candy colors, sprayed the lawns with green dye, and put in the plastic topiary. The streetlights were augmented so they could be used as practicals. This was in Florida in May, which is very warm and humid even overnight. Depp's costume and makeup were so confining that he had to stand basically IN the vent tube of one of those industrial air conditioners between takes.

Tim Burton seemed pretty stressed most of time, pacing around looking down at the ground while clutching his hair!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Yeah Tim Burton is cool,

I had the privilege of working for him on Big Fish. Learned a lot the few days I was there. I like Big Fish because it resembles my home town so much. So says Daniel Wallace. Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice are cool too.