Matthews vs. Avenger vs. Arri

Dan Salzmann

I would stay far away from Avenger heads, arms, and C-Stands. I've had one of thier pucks crack (yes, crack!) on me, the stand bases don't lock in place, and the legs easily bend out of shape.

As mentioned above, Matthews and American Grip are both excellent. I'm a big fan of Modern Studio Equipment, but they're local LA and might be expensive to ship overseas.

• Premium Member

I pretty much agree with all the above. My guys, when I have talked to them about, have always preferred American C-Stands.

Avenger does have some nice hardware though. I bought 10 bale-blocks (TVMP adapters) for some lights I own, and after looking at Matthews, and American, the Avenger seemed a lot more heavy duty.

• Premium Member
I pretty much agree with all the above. My guys, when I have talked to them about, have always preferred American C-Stands.

Avenger does have some nice hardware though. I bought 10 bale-blocks (TVMP adapters) for some lights I own, and after looking at Matthews, and American, the Avenger seemed a lot more heavy duty.

Where those adaptors for the lights you showed in a picture once? I think that they were par cans from

a theater? How are they balance wise on stands? I have some old theater lights but haven't put them

up stands.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Yes those were the PAR cans pictured, though they are not only used in theater, every single movie lightning rental house rents PAR cans with the TVMP adapter as standard.

They balance fine I guess, they are not very heavy.

I have Matthews, Arri and Avenger grips. I prefer Matthews flags, scrims and clamps. Avenger stuff are good too... I never have any problem with their heavy duty C-stand and grip heads. If I am not wrong, Arri grips are actually made by Avenger part of the Manfrotto company italy. I notice Avenger and Arri grips are the same..they just stick Arri labels on the grips.

We here in Toronto prefer a combination. MSE stand with Avenger gobo heads and arms. Avenger heads have less parts still have an amazing grip. Their stands are a different story - too heavy and their posi locks are wonky.

American never caught on here. Love to try Modern's stands.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hi Dan,

since MSE is pretty hard & expensive to come by here in Austria I own Avenger and Manfrotto gear, which actually is the same company using two different brands. It#s all made in Italy AFAIK. So far my stuff has never let me down. Arri doesn't make their own stuff, its Manfrotto/Avenger stuff as well. Funny thing is that I can buy Arri labeled stuff cheaper than Manfrotto labeled gear.

Regards, Dave

Edited by David Auner

• Premium Member
Yes those were the PAR cans pictured, though they are not only used in theater, every single movie lightning rental house rents PAR cans with the TVMP adapter as standard.

They balance fine I guess, they are not very heavy.

Hi Kevin,

thanks again for the tip with TVMP adapters. They work great on my PAR 64 cans. I guess I'll buy a number of smaller adapters for my PAR56. As for stability, I have used them in a couple of shoots and never had any problems.

Cheers, Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Where those adaptors for the lights you showed in a picture once? I think that they were par cans from

a theater? How are they balance wise on stands? I have some old theater lights but haven't put them

up stands.

You're talking about rocknroll PARs right?

(They're call rocknroll PARs cause they're use alot in clubs & venue lighting)

Well they're alright on stands but I find them usually woobly, just like Lekos

You have to put the TVMP adapter on very tight (but usually it's not tight enough)

The light tends to sway and swivel slightly on the stand although it's on tight enough with no danger of falling.

Other than that minor inconvieniance PAR cans are pretty cool

And very popular on sets because of they're cheap to rent and provide a very spotty beam.

I am going to purchase some gobo heads and arms and would like to know how any grips out there would compare the quality and sturdiness of the above companies products.

I really like MSE stuff like other people have said...

Avenger stands can be tricky to handle their legs don't properly lock into place

But Avenger makes good heads and arms I find them very sturdy and good to grip...

Most of the stuff I use from American C-stands is old and beat up...so I dunno what to say.

If you can get MSE stuff in Europe use it, if not Avenger and Matthews is the way to go.

Good Luck

Matthews is nice and their new head design is great. but frequently rental companies only have the old style head which sucks. American is really a great choice the heads are super smooth and always lock. American doesnt have the mishmash number of holes matthews does. but I have to say my new favorite is Modern studio. their stands are all stainless steel and their new head is the heat. just finished a month on the beach and the matthews and american stand all look like hell from the rust. the Modern stands only needed a quick wipe down. The Modern combo stand has a tie down point on it, great for windy conditions. I would purchase Modern stands in a heartbeat. They seem built to take it.