Directors shooting script. Not necessary in USA!?

Hello!

I try to find directors shooting script example in the internet but find only:

a ) screenplay (with scene numbers)

b ) lined script

c ) continuity script

d ) and many other production documents...

I have a question to professional filmmakers in Hollywood - do you have shooting script form for film directors!?

In our country we have this form:

http://www.screenwriter.ru/info/director.rar

I try to translate columns from left to right:

frame number / duration / storyboard (sometimes it is separate document)/ scene (like INT.ROOM-DAY)/ camera shot (LS, MLS, close-up with pan etc) / action / dialogue and FX / directors notes.

Usually this is A4 page (album) with vertically columns with this names at the TOP of the page.

And what do you have? Trying to find something similar but found only "camera shot list". But this is not directors script exactly.

Thank you!

Edited by VOlodya VO

• Premium Member

Different directors do things different ways. There isn't a "form" for it nor is it particularly formalized as a document or as a process. We're not a government bureau, here, we're creative professionals.

Maybe "form" is not a good word. (Excuse for my English)

But cinema process is always a SYSTEM. Expecially in big movies.

For example - scripts have format rules and nobody tells you that it is a "goverment bureau".

It is also a creative process, isnt it?;)

Chris.

It would be nice if you tell me about your way or about ways you see from different directors.

Maybe some pdf or link?

And it would be nice if someone helps me to find what ways different directors use.

Thank you.

ps.

By the way - the form that I post in previous message is also "for professionals" and it is really useful.

It HELPS you to create.

Maybe you have something better. This was my question.

• Premium Member
Maybe "form" is not a good word. (Excuse for my English)

But cinema process is always a SYSTEM. Expecially in big movies.

For example - scripts have format rules and nobody tells you that it is a "goverment bureau".

It is also a creative process, isnt it?;)

Maybe you have something better. This was my question.

What you're describing may be used only by the Russian film industry. But it sounds like a good idea. Can you scan a copy of what you're familiar with and post it here? Please include translation of the Russian.

It's possible that what you're calling a "shooting script" is used for has items on it that over here are tasks performed during shooting by the production's Script Supervisor.

British television has scripts which have two columns, one is for cameras and the other has the dialogue. It developed from when they did live multi camera TV dramas, these were handed out to the camera crew.

Most directors I've seen usually have a shot list or a script with notes scribbled on it.

This is very similar to what is used in theater and, to a lesser extent, in a mutli-camera television show.

In theater? It is interesting. Maybe you have some scan examples or pdf?

Hal Smith

Thanks for your interest!!

I think the script that Supervisor do - is a lined script. Am I right? Some sort of a script with strange looking:) vertical lines (like waves) with a lots of notes etc.

About directors script.

For me, it is really amazing that you dont have such kind of the script. I was sure that you have this (or near this form) because it comes to Russia exactly from Hollywood long time ago.

It is really hard to work with usual script (with scene numbers) or with huge amount of technical notes at the stage for me. How you do it?!

Directors script is useful. I made it from A4 paper (because it is europian standard) but you have a better way - legal paper format. It is bigger in width so you might use it also for storyboard or making bigger columns with ACTION and DIALOGUE.

And I saw something like that not long ago when trying to find a software for filmdirectors. Look at this screenshot

http://homepage.mac.com/directors_notebook.../pages/004.html

Thats why I was sure that you have exactly this form in movies.

So. How you plan your movie visually? Maybe you have your examples?

So here's a sample from a live-to-tape, multi-camera show that I was the lighting designer on. As you can tell, it's very similar to what you displayed.

And in Movies!?

Our directors script is useful because there is info about SHOTS (MS or LS etc), about duration (because dialogue rhythm depends from directors style), there are directors notes column, music and FX - and ALL this info at one page!

Directors script is the main job before you starts the movie and it helps producer to understand your ideas, it helps to Supervisor or other members of creative team to understand what exactly you want from the film. Yes, it is not all info about the film, only basics but this is really "see your film before shooting", not just script with scene numbers.

So. I am trying to understand - how Hollywood directors prepares for their films.

• Premium Member

Why would you even attempt to control duration of every shot? That's something that should be done in the editorial process, not on set.

Edited by Chris Keth

Chris

This is very interesting question. For me - the film is like a music - it is very important to feel the rhythm. When you shoot only one scene - you want to make it the most beautiful scene in your movie, so you are trying to push up the tempo. But it is a mistake, because directors job is to fill the whole movie, not only this episode. And maybe in the whole movie this scene should be a little bit slower.

So. Duration is like a notes. You plan your "visual impacts".

Anybody tell me - how you plan your movies? If not with directors script?

• Premium Member
Hal Smith

Thanks for your interest!!

I think the script that Supervisor do - is a lined script. Am I right? Some sort of a script with strange looking:) vertical lines (like waves) with a lots of notes etc.

Yes, the Script Supervisor is the one that keeps track of what has been shot and in which take with the lined script. In the past the job was also credited as "Continuity".