Screenshots 35mm shortfilm

Guest Timothy Wallace

Chris,

Interessante, fesselnde (obwohl kleine) Fotos. Ich nehme es an, dass der Film in deutscher Sprache sein wird. Hast Du es im Sinn auch das "Endprodukt" endlich mit uns zu teilen? Viel Erfolg!

[interesting, compelling (though small) photos. I assume the film will be in German. Do you intend to share the "final product" with us as well? I wish you success!]

Tim

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Chris great footage, the best frame was the wide shot. It remember me Conrad Hall style, like American Beauty dinner scenes.

Best

Xavier Plaza

thanks xaviar

i was inspired by the great photographer Gregory Crewdson...

greets

chris

• 1 month later...

Good stuff, good stuff. The wide shot is definitely the strongest of the bunch. Reminded me of some extreme work by Robert Richardson.

I think for the close-ups you could have laid down some duvetyne on the table to cut down on some of the bounce from that hot overhead light to bring the contrast down a bit. But nice work nonetheless :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Jonathan, i think you are right with the bounce, but when i shoot this sceen, i forget about this... but its ok i think in the cut it works very good...

here are two new screenshoots... i will upload the film next year, first i try to get some filmfestivals...

so greets

chris

post-13807-1194706499.jpg

Hi Chris, Good stuff, really well done... One thing though, this is literally copied on Crewdson, not just pastiched, but copied. I don't know what sort of copyright trouble you could get into with this but you should investigate before you show this all over. Gregory Crewdson is not an obscure reference, he is a very well know contemporary artist whose work sells for quite a lot of money, he might not sue you but his agents probably could. I mean, that image of the naked girl with the burned out carpet, it's just so close to the original...

But the lighting is good, I am less convinced by the close ups, too much light in my opinion, but the wide shots are really good. Is this timed? Color corrected already?

Ciao,

C

hi

yes i copied it, because i loved it...

but i ithink its only a screenshot on the hole film.13.Min.. Its only a studentfilm and i dont earn money with it...

in the credits of the film i said that crewdson was a big inspiration for me, and i tried to write a story before and after this pictures... the dinner scene too..

i also know this copyright problem, and shooted probably a sceen without the burned out carpet, but i think this looks better... just a little bit, but the burned out carpet is a nice idea...

so i hope this is ok for crewdson and his managment, and they probably will like the shortfilm? who knows? this is not a commercial thing.

I hope...

and this pictures are not collorcorected... only a one light transfer to minidv... but i get a 35mm copy...

i think crewdsons pictures are a little bit better...:-)

greets from germany

Student movie! Wow... I'm impressed. The AD is really good, so is everything it seems. It must have cost you a fortune. I am somehow familiar with copyrights, I am a commercial photographer who turned to cinematography. I have to deal with copyright issues now and then but I just read so often on the PDN website (www.pdnonline.com) about copyright's lawsuits in the States that I would really shy away from copying an artist such as Crewdson...

Well, you are a student and you are refering to him in the open in this case ( with credits too ) and it ain't for commercial purposes...

Still, I don't know...

I'd ask first I think. If your short turns out a success and travels... You might get in trouble later on.

C

Last advice: Ask around. Your teachers, here on the forum... Some people might have answers regarding copyrights.

Student movie! Wow... I'm impressed. The AD is really good, so is everything it seems. It must have cost you a fortune. I am somehow familiar with copyrights, I am a commercial photographer who turned to cinematography. I have to deal with copyright issues now and then but I just read so often on the PDN website (www.pdnonline.com) about copyright's lawsuits in the States that I would really shy away from copying an artist such as Crewdson...

Well, you are a student and you are refering to him in the open in this case ( with credits too ) and it ain't for commercial purposes...

Still, I don't know...

I'd ask first I think. If your short turns out a success and travels... You might get in trouble later on.

C

Last advice: Ask around. Your teachers, here on the forum... Some people might have answers regarding copyrights.

mmh i think, i hope that this is ok... its not a photography i made... than it wouldn´t be fun, because its a simple copy... i made a scene between this picture.. the dinner sceen... they talk, i cut ... its not a only picture... its a shortfilm which was even inspired by crewdson and i think we dit it well... i tried to cover the atmosphere between this pictures in my film...

and at the first look the "pictures" are very similar, but when you look a little bit longer, there a a lot of diferences between them... only the burned out carpet is very very similar... but this is cool i think...

so who knows, i think its ok for a student to make this...

so i loved this two pictures...

by

chris