Are the Beaulieu's quiet?

Bo Price

So I have a Canon 1014 xls, which is really nice, but it's a little loud to use for dialogue, unless you put the camera really far away.

I hear the Nizo 6080 is the quietest camera, so I'm thinking about that one.

But is anyone familiar with the Beaulieu's? Like the 6008 Pro? I've seen a few for sale, but I'm not sure how loud they are. Also, do any of the high-end Beaulieu's have crystal-sync built in, or do they have to be modified?

And one last one: which do you think has a better image, the Beaulieu or the Nizo 6080?

Thanks so much -- this board has been a great help so far.

Bo

Any of those higher-end cameras you mention will give very good image definition - if it has been recently serviced. Ebay attic finds are usually in need of attention in order to bring them back to good functional use. As for noise, again you'll have to check the unit to know, but Super 8 cameras in general are not built for very quiet operation - the Nizo 4080 / 6080 being a possible exception. Some Beaulieu 6008 / 7008 Pro cameras had built-in crystal sync, and aftermarket sync kits are supposedly still available.

You'll be hard pressed to find a better camera than that Canon 1014xls; it's generally considered the cream of the crop in terms of usability and image quality.

I've got a 6008Pro, and it's much quieter than than the Canon 1014e I used to use regularly (not an XLS model), and about the same volume as the Nizo's I've used. I can't really remember the volume of the 1014 xls which I used on one shoot, so can't really comment for comparison...

the 6008 Pro has a slot for taking a crystal sync unit, which I believe you can get from Wittner Kinotech if you have the cash...

Personally, I've found the Beaulieu to be capable of much better results, particularly in terms of image sharpness - the ground glass focussing is even better than the split image in the canons (tho I'm not sure this is standard on the 6008 - think mine may have been modified)than anything else I've used in the past (including the 1014 xls), but is nowhere near as user friendly as the Canons... depends what you want really

Interesting side note on Beaulieu battery supplies. I just bought a new battery for my Sony D8 camcorder, and saw it was a 7.2V Infolithium battery, which is the same voltage needed by Beaulieu 4008 an 5008 cameras. It may be a simple matter to rig up a battery supply for a Beaulieu using a modern, easy to acqure source (that costs $50 as opposed to the $150+ of the Beaulieu battery).

• Premium Member

I've got the Beaulieu 6008 Pro crystal synch, recently serviced and a 5008. I'd have to say the 5008 is noticeabley quiter and sturdier but nothing beats having crystal sync for inexpensive low-fi music videos.

I also have a Nizo 481 which is very quiet and compact. Just the perfect camera to get in a baseball stadium or concert venue...

So I have a Canon 1014 xls, which is really nice, but it's a little loud to use for dialogue, unless you put the camera really far away.

I hear the Nizo 6080 is the quietest camera, so I'm thinking about that one.

But is anyone familiar with the Beaulieu's? Like the 6008 Pro? I've seen a few for sale, but I'm not sure how loud they are. Also, do any of the high-end Beaulieu's have crystal-sync built in, or do they have to be modified?

And one last one: which do you think has a better image, the Beaulieu or the Nizo 6080?

Thanks so much -- this board has been a great help so far.

Bo

Rather than buying another camera, just send your Canon 1014 to Spectra Film & Vide in North Hollywood. I was in there one day and they had one that they had just serviced and I could barely even hear it running standing just two feet away from it. Those can be very quiet cameras when properly serviced.