I hope my new HVX200 isn't defective....

mabou

Hi all,

Okay, so my brand new 200 makes an odd clicking sound when I tilt it forward and backward. The click is something "loose" in or around the lens. The click ONLY occurs when the power is off, as soon as the power goes on (either AC or DV) the clicking sound goes away.

I am hoping that this is a known oddity about the normal operation of this camera.... I have an important shoot on Monday....

Does anyone know if this clicking/thumping sound is normal when the camera is powered down?

• Premium Member

I am not positive, but people inundated forums like this and others with this same question when the DVX100 came out. It was the optical stabilization rattling around.

I have not followed this camera much, but I would not be surprised if it is the same thing (which was perfectly normal, all the cameras made that noise).

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

I'm sorry that I can't put my hands on Barry Green's very good book all about this camera but I believe

that on page 1 he answers "What's that clicking sound" and it is indeed normal, although I'm spacing

on exactly what he said. I hope that reassures you somewhat; I'll see if I can dig up the answer.

Thanks guys, anything that gives me a bit of relief about this is good. I have a shoot in three days and I have few options if the camera is a dud....

Anything affirmative would be appreciated. You would think that if this was a known thing, Panasonic would make a mention in the instruction manual.

Anyway, thanks again.

Matt

Edited by mabou

• Premium Member
Thanks guys, anything that gives me a bit of relief about this is good. I have a shoot in three days and I have few options if the camera is a dud....

Anything affirmative would be appreciated. You would think that if this was a known thing, Panasonic would make a mention in the instruction manual.

Anyway, thanks again.

Matt

Kevin is exactly right.

From pg. 12 of Barry W Green's book "The HVX Book": "The first question many new HVX owners

ask is 'What's that click?'"

He describes exactly what you describe and says "This is completely normal, there's nothing wrong

with the camera. What you're hearing is an element of the optical image stabilizing (OIS) system.

When the camera is powered on, the OIS system is energized, and the rattle disappears. This is

one of the most frequently asked HVX questions..."

This book, and his DVDs on the camera and P2 workflow, are extremely good and helpful!

Does anyone know if this clicking/thumping sound is normal when the camera is powered down?

I keep wondering why Panasonic does not put a flyer in the box as soon as you open it... explaining the clicking noise... how long as the DVX and HVX have been out and this is always the first question...

Thanks everyone,

My DP for the shoot has confirmed that every HVX he has used has the exact same noise. Silly that Panasonic is not warning anyone.

Also seems like a bit of clunky engineering. An internal component banging around at the whim of inertia is certainly taking some kind of abuse. Be sure to turn the camera on if you are ever going to drive on a bumpy dirt road or something.... seems like that lens element could beat itself to death given the right undulations.

Anyway.. thanks again all.

(I just bought the two Barry Green DVD's).

Matt

• 10 months later...
I keep wondering why Panasonic does not put a flyer in the box as soon as you open it... explaining the clicking noise... how long as the DVX and HVX have been out and this is always the first question...

I actually suggested an easily removable sticker on lens barrel over at DVXUser.com and Barry had submitted that suggestion to Panasonic, and apparently they haven't taken it. I don't think a flyer or anything in the instruction book would do anything... most people just grab the camera out of the box and run outside with it, and immediately start shooting. Then after that, they're to destracted to ever read the manual... but if it was something on the lens itself, they had to take off to use the camera... they atleast have to be aware of the sticker (unless it's a used camera of course).

Edited by Andrew McCarrick