O'Connor 50D Head & Legs $800.00

John Banovich

• Premium Member
O?Connor 50D Head ? Mitchell mount with Fiba collapsible legs. Good working Condition $800.00

John,

How much weight will that O'Connor 50D head hold? I am looking for a tripod to use with an old ARRI blimp and camera, so it needs to be pretty heavy duty. Also, do you have any pictures of the tripod? I am not completely clear on the Mitchell mount.

Thanks,

-Tim

• Premium Member
How much weight will that O'Connor 50D head hold?

An O'Connor 50D is rated at 50# to counterbalance the camera. I wouldn't be afraid to load my 50D up considerably past that but extreme pans up and down could get to be a challenge.

• Premium Member
An O'Connor 50D is rated at 50# to counterbalance the camera. I wouldn't be afraid to load my 50D up considerably past that but extreme pans up and down could get to be a challenge.

So the O'Connor will hold 50 lbs? And the legs will support that as well? And I am a bit unclear on the Mitchell mount. There is a tripod head on eBay right now that says it is a Mitchell mount. Is the O'Connor you are selling the same mount as this?

7e3c_1.JPG

For the ARRI blimp I need a big flat plate with a 3/8" stud. Is that what your O'Connor has?

Thanks,

-Tim

So the O'Connor will hold 50 lbs? And the legs will support that as well? And I am a bit unclear on the Mitchell mount. There is a tripod head on eBay right now that says it is a Mitchell mount. Is the O'Connor you are selling the same mount as this?

A Mitchell Mount is also known (in the UK at least) as a Moy fitting. It's found on the majority of professional tripods, as it's unable to slip as a bowl fitting can.

• Premium Member
A Mitchell Mount is also known (in the UK at least) as a Moy fitting. It's found on the majority of professional tripods, as it's unable to slip as a bowl fitting can.

Okay, so the Mitchell mount has nothing to do with how the camera or blimp mounts to the head, it has to do with the way the head mounts to the tripod. Thanks.

For some reason John Banovich, the individual selling this tripod, is not responding to these questions. I appreciate others helping out.

I would love to see a picture of the top of the tripod head so I can see if it has the right mounting surface so I can mount my ARRI blimp on it. Do all O'Connor 50D heads have the same camera mount?

Thanks,

-Tim

Hi

The Mitchelll mount is flat compared to hemisphere of the bowl mount. It's meant to take heavier weight cameras, but you have to set the head level by the tripod legs, unless you have a Mitchell to Mitchell ball leveler between head and tripod.

For 50lbs and under the bowl mount is far better in my opinion.

The 50d lockdown screw is standard 3/8". The blimp will sit fine.

• Premium Member

The 50D has a quick change plate on the top of the head. The standard screw is 3/8" but one could use a different size screw through the plate (I did one project where I had my Sony miniDV on top of the 50D held down with a 1/4" bolt, it looked ridiculous but worked just fine). On thing that goes wrong with 50D is the quick release lever gets lost. A 1/4" elevator bolt and nut makes a good replacement, you just need to use a small wrench to detach the plate. Also the pan handle has a knurled surface where it goes into the head, you can make up a kludge but its really best to have either the original or the adjustable sold by Visual Products. Most 50D's seem to leak a bit of fluid given their age but it doesn't seem to bother them too much. O'Connor can supply a lot of parts for them but they are expensive - after all it was a very pricey head when new.

Hi Tim,

I'm new to the site, so sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I was not sure how to access this forum.

I have all the original parts for the head and no, it does not leak. I had my CP16 R/s, my old SRII as well as more recently my Varicam on it and it functions as a great backup head to my 2575B or a lite weight option for more remote location needs.

The Mitchell mount is an industry standard in so much that it locks to most dolly, crane and jib mounts. It will function much better than a bowl head, especially with a heavier load. Further, when performing deep tilts or quick/snap pans, the head will NOT shift.

Let me know if you are still interested and I can send some photos to your email address.

Best,

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Hi Tim,

I'm new to the site, so sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I was not sure how to access this forum.

I have all the original parts for the head and no, it does not leak. I had my CP16 R/s, my old SRII as well as more recently my Varicam on it and it functions as a great backup head to my 2575B or a lite weight option for more remote location needs.

The Mitchell mount is an industry standard in so much that it locks to most dolly, crane and jib mounts. It will function much better than a bowl head, especially with a heavier load. Further, when performing deep tilts or quick/snap pans, the head will NOT shift.

Let me know if you are still interested and I can send some photos to your email address.

Best,

John

John,

Sorry, I've been out of town, down at Axel Broda's shop working on some Arriflex 16SRII Super 16 conversions.

I would love to see some pictures of the tripod and O'Connor head. I will PM you with my email address.

Thanks,

-Tim

• 4 weeks later...