camera for first film

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Well, I'd record the sound on a separate system. The microphones on most MiniDV cameras are crap, and you can even hear a camera noise. And plugging an external microphone is also a pain because you have to carry the camera around with a wire sticking out the side, which can get in the way (and drive you absolutely nuts)

So, try a Minidisk recorder or something, or even a computer/laptop. But make sure your using a good microphone. Usually amateur sound engineers will do the job for free, to gain experience. But they?ll still do a good job of it and they usually have descent equipment.

Oh and about the GL2. Yeh that?s a fantastic camera, don't bother with anything else unless it?s on the menu.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Nothing particularly wrong with the GL2 as miniDV cameras go, other than ergonomics. I don't think it's necessary to record dual system sound unless there's some reason you can't get a cable to the camera, but yes, you should certainly have a sound person - and if you can't get anyone experienced, at least dedicate a day to figuring out how to get sound you like. Practically all low-end independent film is marred by bad sound.

Phil

OK another quick question. The high school let us barrow the camera over the weekend and we were messing around with the camera to see what kind of shots we could do and when we plugged it into my wide screen it looked weird on the edges. Im not sure how to explain it but it didnt look right. Do I have to let a wide screen lens?

Alex

• Premium Member

Hi,

I presume it looked stretched horizontally. Go google for information on how 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios work for video, and ideally don't come back until you can understand for yourself the options for shooting either format! :)

Phil

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
Practically all low-end independent film is marred by bad sound.

Now that is provably right. I worked on a film last year and the sound technician just didn't have the experience. There?s a balanced noise between the cars in the background and the actor?s lines. You can barely hear the actors at points. But, most of us have a good understanding on recording sound, they just supply the equipment. (As bad as that sounds, it's true, unless you get someone experienced of course)

But when recording with a camera you get a sound cut between scenes. Just record the entire scene and use that sound for each and every angle you shoot. But watch the dubbing, sometimes if you catch the actor?s mouth on another angle you can just tell it's not the right track.

Alex,

If this is your first film and the first time with the camera I suggest you continue testing it. Its a great camera to shoot your first project with. Make sure you have a good tripod and and even better head unless you plan on going all hand held.

My suggestion for your sound is the following: Since this is your first film, I wouldn't bother with recording audion on an external device, because you will have to sinc it later which means you would have to use a slate. Synching picture and sound can be tedious and quite the headache and I'm sure you will have to synch sound at a later point down the line. Maybe your next project you can take on this. For now, you should find out what kind of audio equipment (compatable with the GL2) you can get from your High School. A shotgun MIC, with a boom pole would be a good option. Unless you have a lot of dialogue in which case you may want to mic each actor with Lavalier mics. A good pair of headphones is essential.

Mostly have fun and be creative!

best of luck