Beowulf

andrew heggli

Again, didn't really know where to put this so ended up here.

Anyways, am I the only one who thinks that Beowulf actually looks cool and not just like another "final fantasy-like" movie? I think the graphics are wonderful and a milestone (? is that what its called :blink: ) in animation. For the first 20 seconds of the trailer i was wondering why the hell it looked so... wrong, but still very right. It looked good, but different, but then i realized it was animated!

Even though, yes, the first 20 seconds are fadein fadeout shots, still, if a trailer can trick you into thinking its real, they've done SOMETHING right, haven't they?

Seen discussion on other sites (mainly imdb.com), and people seem to be bashing the movie for some reason... Am i the only one looking forward to this movie? and btw, if anyone has a link to where i can see the trailer in HD that would be great! or maybe its just my pc that won't play the links on http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/beowulf/ for those who want to see the trailer for themselves!

Peace

Andrew

I agree it looks good. I'm especially interested in seeing it in 3D (stereoscopically). I saw some of the digital facial castings of Angelina Jolie today at the DGA's Digital Day. They also showcased 3D footage in its current state-of-the-art. It looks amazingly good. I really do think it's the future of cinema.

When I first saw the trailer, I thought they had some weird lighting technique. Every character is backlit in just the right places, impossibly so.

However, I don't see how they can beat the Beowulf and Grendel picture with Gerald Butler, unless they bring in better sound...

I agree its a bit strange that their putting out this movie so soon after the Beowulf and Grendel movie, but maybe thats why the movie is animated. Haven't seen the movie with "the 300 guy" aka Gerald Butler yet, but was it that great? I hadn't even heard about it till i heard about the new Beowulf movie

As a student of that period - hell, my group went to the showing in garb! - I was very interested in this film. Storywise, it made a very interesting take on how historical fact can be distorted into legend, on the fly. Through the lens, the film made very good use of the atmospheric location. The sound, as I said, was a little muddy, however, which made the diverse accents hard to understand.

• Premium Member
why make a 3d version of a real actor that looks just like the actor?

Because you can.

I never understood the need for photorealistic animation. I always like animation for the wild characters and exaggeration it is capable of. My favorite cartoons aren't even close to realistic and that's why they're my favorites.

i don't think its only because they can like chris said (though i agree with you on that, part of the fun with animation is just that, its animation, its not real), but also because it expandes possibilites for other feature films that are to be produced. Before it was real easy to see the difference bewtween real and fake, now that the difference between "real" and "fake" is becoming smaller, maybe some shots will be much easier for movie makers to do. A really dangerous stunt sequence e.g.... i dunno... theres probably loads of uses for it. Maybe not as a whole film made that way (it would become boring if all the movies were like this, just think this one is the first to look THIS real, therefor i am fascinated).

Peace

Well i've been thinking alot about this to. there's no question that the techniques will rapidly become better and cheaper, so i'm alittle worried that this is the future of filmaking. I mean this way you can make shots that are in no way possible using live action, it can save you the hassle (and money) of going to locations and it would save bucketloads of time shooting the actors, because they just show up at the studio, strap on a green suit (or whatever they use) and do their scenes. Rest is up to the computer guys.

So do you think that in the future ALL movies will be made like this? (when, as i said, it becomes cheaper to do this than to use live action). It doesn't look like they are far from making it look 100% realistic.

That worries me... i donno. I'm not affraid of CGI and special effects and stuff, most of the time they can greatly improve a movie, and loads of our favorites of course couln't happen without it, but from that to doing the whole movie on the computer... Ruins it i guess?...

Thoughts?

Folks were worried about sound... folks were worried about color... folks were worried about TV... Each made our craft better because of its introduction. I have no doubt that future of what we do is secure.

As to the question of CGI actors, I think that people want to see people and I don't know how connected the audience will be with totally CGI avatar actors that doesn't feed into the fan's love of off set drama. (Unless the studios create a unruly Lohan like character that hops and swerves IP addresses on the the net from virtual club to virtual club. Huh, that could be interesting.) From what I saw at the DGA's Digital Day, it's true they are very close to creating a totally believable copy of a person and who knows what being done by folks that didn't show their wares.

And then, of course, there's the other side of Beowulf that few have mentioned and is tied to the future of cinema and that's 3D or stereoscopy. I look forward to seeing great talent use this new tool in service of storytelling. I genuinely believe that much of movie making in the future will be tied to this 50 year old technology whose time has come with the advent of digital projection systems. My two cents...

i haven't seen the trailer.

but maybe one of the reasons is that they can perfect or manipulate everything single shot down to the exact vision of the filmmakers, obsolutely every detail!

Maybe what's so great about this movie is not that it's a 3d movie done to look like live action, but a live action done in 3d.

The film version of A Princess of Mars or John Cater of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs is in the works, but since so many of the characters have multiple limbs, this technology would be crucial to making the film work.

Obviously Tars Tarkas, the other tharks and the thoats will have to be pootertoons.

though I might enjoy stop motion a lot more.

But John Carter, Dejah Thoris and the other "humans" need to be real people, else it might as well be an anime.