Spraying the ground with water

DavidSloan

• Premium Member

I really like the look of a wet down. It creates some texture and life to what would be an otherwise black void (in the case of asphalt). It reflects your light sources, and because most of the light hits the water in an "edge" position, they tend to go hot so one needs to stay on top of that.

I think it is an effect to be used sparingly. Some guys use a wet down in the day, but I don?t really care for that look (unless it?s motivated by rain).

Kevin Zanit

I remember being told in school that if you have a really dark frame with a lot of underexposed areas, it helps to have even the slightest bit of highlight. It just makes the frame seem more balanced (light wise). Headlights, mirrors, water on the ground... They reflect of produce hot spots to balance off the dark bits.

On another note... water on the road is also good when you've got lots of crazy car manuevers in the movie. :lol:

• Premium Member

Hi,

Hell to deal with in video, since the hilights tend to be so hot.

I like to use softish, largish sources to combat this - like this:

HIGHPA9889.33.jpg

(That's a behind-the-scenes photo from a shoot I did so it isn't lit for the shot, but it shows the effect)

Phil

I have heard both "Wet Down" and "Water down".

Watering the road during the day as well helps you reflect light. One of my colleages who did a shoot not long ago, told me that at most you might get up to 20% reflection of light from watered down street. He also said to me that since most Hollywood films do it, he might as well too. :lol:

They do help relfect light and they do help in giving a 3d space to the road.

C.-

Wet downs can really help during the day also. Sometimes there is an area in your frame that is too bright for the scene. Like a sunlit sidewalk. If you wet the area it may darken and not even look wet. It?s a great trick.

• 2 weeks later...