�Flashing � film

...using it in order to reduce overall contrast or to modify color in the darkest image areas altering the mid-range and lighter image tones....

ok, I am looking for movies made with this process, someone knows one?

since the only flashing images that I saw was my tests

thans

leticia bobbioni

• Premium Member

I used the Panaflasher on "Northfork", following some similar techniques used in "McCabe & Mrs. Miller" (i.e. diffusion, smoke, and flashing).

Besides "McCabe", Zsigmond used flashing heavily on "The Long Goodbye".

Freddie Francis used the Lightflex, later the Varicon, to flash movies such as "Dune", "Glory", "The Straight Story", though not heavily.

Lubezsky flashed "The Little Princess" lightly (about 10%).

Many of John McTiernan's action movies were flashed lightly ("Hunt for Red October", "Last Action Hero", "The 13th Warrior".)

One of the first movies to use flashing throughout was "Camelot".

Hi David,

Would you mind explaining, or giving an example of how flashing affected the look of Northfork (a screenshot, perhaps)? I am interested in the process, but know little about it.

Beautifully shot film, by the way.

--S

• Premium Member

Up to a 7% flash, you create some small improvement in shadow detail, but above that, you are just lifting the blacks and softening the colors. The sharpness is also reduced because sharpness is affected by contrast.

But I was combining a 15% to 20% flash with a skip-bleach process on the prints, which restored the blacks while further softening colors (think of it like mixing paint -- flashing is like softening a color paint by adding white paint into it, and skip-bleach is like softening a color by adding black paint into it.)