Ingmar Bergman dies at 89

Ingmar Bergman passed away today in his home in Fårö, Sweden where he lived out his years. According to his daughter Eva he died peacfully from natural causes.

Many Cinematographers will surely remember his long, close working relationship with Cinematographer Sven Nykvist who passed away last year.

The world has truly lost a great filmmaker.

• Premium Member

I was lucky enough to work with Sven and he impressed me greatly with his extreme simplicity. But I never 'got' Bergmans work. I tried, I watched it because I thought I should get it, but I never did

If he played, he lost.

The Seventh Seal was a work of absolute perfection and utter genius rarely equaled in the annals of cinema. You all are right, the world is a little grayer today and this master filmmaker was and is the kind of giant on who's shoulders others stand on to see further. Had I ever met him, I would have thank him for the lessons his films taught me and hope my work can achieve just one percent of the craftsmanship his did. I hope he is at peace.

Guest Roman Latkovic
If he played, he lost.

If he lost I am sure he would be granted a rematch. Death owes him that much - no one ever has potreyed it like Mr. Bergman did.

Edited by Roman Latkovic

I discovered Ingmar Bergman about two years ago. I bought a copy of "Wild Strawberries" and I remember that I had a hard time sitting through the whole film. "What's so special about this movie ?". That's what I thought.

Ok, the next day I decided to give it another chance. This time, I made it to the end. But ... for some strange reason, I felt like watching it again. So I watched it again. And then I felt like watching it so more. So I did. From that point on I've decided to collect his movies and today I have 14 DVD's which I watch regularly. Not only that, but Bergman was the director who's helped me learn how to appreciate art movies. So I ended up discovering other great directors as Tarkovsky, Tarr, Sokurov, Robert Bresson, Rivette, etc.

It's a sad news not only because we lost an icon but also because it gives me that feeling that cinema, as an art form, is also dying. And that's a scary feeling.

Rest in peace maestro.

• Premium Member

I get some of the same feelings. Fortunately, folks like Roberto Benigni are keeping it alive. My wife and I just did Life is Beautiful. It was an amazing achievement. Overall, it seems that the Europeans have been more willing to go in directions... how would you describe it in one phrase? Though, I tend to inaccurately stereotype each continent's production tendencies, I usually associate European production with art and American production with slick, formula, hack. Of course, it's not that simple, but that's how my brain lazily labels them.

Guest Tim Partridge

Another great passes us- not that long after Mr. Nyvkist either.

Love or loathe, you can't deny Bergman's contribution to cinema.