Canon Scoopic Problems

Aaron Tan

Hello,

Has anyone ever experienced problems loading film into a Canon Scoopic (The earliest model)? I know they were designed to be really easy to load but I have been having trouble doing it. I don't know where to start. I'll explain what happens when I load the camera....

1. I put the spool in and place the film against the sprocket. Then I have to press a little thin silver button next to the sprocket so that the motor can run (it won't run without the button pressed).

2. I hold the loop formers closed so the film forms a nice loop.

3. I have to lift off the top half of the pressure plate in order for the film to slide in. It won't go in unless I do this. Then once the tip of the film is at the bottom of the pressure plate I put it back in place.

4. I hold the loop formers again so the film curves around the bottom loop former and into the sprocket. Then out comes the film....

The problems occur once the film is between the gate and the pressure plate. The film sometimes won't move. It's like it's jammed. The motor doesn't run. Sometimes when I do have the whole film loaded through it makes this funny clicking noise as it advances. The noise seems to come from the claw area... Sometimes when film is loaded even half way the motor stops running like its jammed... I'm thinking that it could be a weak battery but I'm not sure...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest VideoCowboy
Hello,

3.  I have to lift off the top half of the pressure plate in order for the film to slide in.  It won't go in unless I do this.  Then once the tip of the film is at the bottom of the pressure plate I put it back in place.

4.  I hold the loop formers again so the film curves around the bottom loop former and into the sprocket.  Then out comes the film....

The problems occur once the film is between the gate and the pressure plate.  The film sometimes won't move.  It's like it's jammed.  The motor doesn't run.  Sometimes when I do have the whole film loaded through it makes this funny clicking noise as it advances.  The noise seems to come from the claw area...  Sometimes when film is loaded even half way the motor stops running like its jammed...  I'm thinking that it could be a weak battery but I'm not sure...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

I have just started working with 16mm cameras myself, but the noise sounds like the film perferations are not lined up with the claw. Your battery may be too weak, because I doubt that you should be holding the gate open or the loop formers closed. I have K-3 that also clacks if the film is not lined up properly, but you should try a new or recelled battery and get a copy of the manual. Both are usually available from eBay or other websites given on the forum.

Good Luck,

Hal

• 8 years later...
  • Premium Member

On the later models you wouldn't need to touch the loop formers, in fact if you did it might miss-guide the film to get caught in the gate.

Could it be that a small piece of film is caught in the film path somehow? This happened to me and it's usually because somewhere in the path, often in the rollers before & after the loop formers, a piece of film got ripped off and stuck in there.

On the MS & MN versions you pull up on these little silver round knobs to free the film guide and usually can remove the piece of film with tweezers. Once the path is clear it should purr like a kitten.

It sounds like the issue is happening after it's loaded so I doubt there's stuck film although it's worth checking. Could be just time for service and lubrication.

• 9 months later...

I've had a similar issue with an original Scoopic. It wasn't a weak battery. When loading the film the motor winds down and it does sound like the battery is running out, however, if I close the case and lock it back in it runs strong. Not sure what this is either, but I was using a newly recelled battery and I tested the voltage, plus it ran for a long time after that issue.

• 4 years later...

Just last night this happened to me. I have the original grey scoopic. I was testing out a dummy roll about 25ft Long. The speed went down really slow and then back up and then right at the end of the roll it just stopped/got caught. I could hear the gear trying to go but it wouldnt move. I charged the battery a little more and still nothing. Battery was reading about half in between blue and red.

I have a video link here to see what I mean (dont mind the background hum its from a broken computer Im trying to fix) https://youtu.be/3P1tp_zIi_8

I read this forum and put the case back on and closed it shut - then tried again and it quickly worked and fed the end of the roll through. I just got this camera back in the mail from a CLA so I was concerned. Im charging the battery all day today and hoping it was just a weak battery? These are newly recelled by myself so maybe it just needs a full charge. Ill do the test roll again today after work. This old film does have a torn perf at the end maybe that was the culprit too.

Does feeding old dummy already exposed film through your camera hurt it in anyway?