TV fiction series Chile

After a long time posting and reviewing a lot of contributions, I'd decide to share my experiences as a journal of a new TV show that I'm just start pre-production for a 20 days of shooting of the first season of a fiction series to be broadcast in chilean TV channel (national broadcast).

Because of budget and HD develop status in Chile (no HD broadcast for the next 8 years, at least) , the production decided shot this project over 720p captured with Panasonic HVX-200, which made me think in a huge challenge in order to keep a high image standard because of the lens, contrast, color and sharp limitations.

After several tests I'd decide use different camera filters just to get a "dirty" image, particular color and softness. Because of that my exterior will be shot in 3200k camera balance and filtered with 85ND, glimmer glass 1 and ultrapolar, trying to keep an f 2.8 just to create the less depth of field that I could get without compromise my focus. (my excuses in advance to my focus puller, I know that will be hard)

The series, a suspense one, give me the freedom to play with chiaro-oscuro and create color and texture areas in order to create a rich image and characters. Will be shot in real locations that will be another challenge creating and controlling the light. Some small apartments, some huge (huuuge rooms). Some of my references are Helnwein draws and pictures, Caravaggio, Hopper and other .. depending the scene and story.

My first real challenge will be a Day for night interior scene (producer decision because of location timing) in wich we have windows reference with a dolly back that end in a over-shoulder of a character seated in a chair waiting for his boyfriend. I'll probably Nd the windows or net it to control the incoming light and exposure (the windows are south view that means no direct sun light coming in this hemisfere)

That for now.. I'll post my references later

Rodrigo

Well.. more locations and more storyboards coming these days.

The series "Mundos Paralelos" (Parallels Worlds) is a history of some people who live weird situations based in old legends and urban stories (not the extirpation of the kidney ones). The directors-writers want to recreate the "twilight zone" atmosphere and tension in actual scenarios and using theirs particular point of view.

Yesterday we visited a beautiful area near Santiago (very close to the Andes) in a technical scout to shot a 2 days of a rainy and very stormy night scene.

In the exteriors we will see a log house in the middle of a quite dense long tree forest . Inside house we see a warm space lighted just for a desk lamp and the fireplace.

The night will be a kind of metallic white lights touched with some lightning bluish fx .

more l8ter.. i'm working in the light plans for it

Rodrigo

• 4 weeks later...

After 20 days of intense work, the series is almost done. Here some pics of scenes without the final color correction but could be a good example of my color options..

Keep a good depth of field was a huge challenge obviously but I could work in critic focus range thanks to my first assistant-Focus Puller Eduardo Contreras.

Hi-

Very nice work! How did your day-for-night shot go?

Also, I just completed a series pilot shoot with 2 HVX cameras, and I'm curious how you handled your P2 cards throughout the day, did you have someone dedicated to just dumping and formatting cards?

And how were your cameras set-up? Matteboxes, Follow Focus, etc., Did you have any particular piece of gear that made your shoot easier or more difficult? Anything you'd change on the next shoot?

Thanks for any insight!

hey patrick thanks..

to handle the P2 cards information we used a portable store drive panasonic AJ-PCS060G with some extra cares.

we decided to put in camera 1 card each time to prevent divided clips and to know exactly where the clip are and write it down in the clapper. We used 120 4g cards for this series downloading all the information in the store during the day to be finally download in a Hard Disk at the end of the day.

The advantages of this system is the don't generate any noise compared with the 100G FS-100 disk cooling system. If you have 8G or 16G card will be easy to handle.. To make a second back up you could burn a DVD (4G card) or a HD DVD for the 16 G..

Matte Box was an invaluable gear in our side. Be sure to use an filter holder Matte Box like Chrozsiel's, other that just put the filter in are very slow and difficult to use.. Be careful with the back reflections.

A good focus puller will save your life, specially if you'll decide to work in really wide aperture like me ( the closest was F 2.8)

If you will use jib or steady systems take care of the sensibility of this because of the weight of the camera. Some this helpful gears could become a headache..

Check your images through component output , is the best way in this camera. You could control your focus with more accuracy .

best regards

Rodrigo