Director's Viewfinder

On my last picture, Double Tap, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0490847/combined My little faithful mini-

director's viewfinder got ripped off. I'm just now getting around to buying another one. I was of course looking for the best buy I could find and finally purchased a German made TEWE Viewfinder on e-bay sold by E.J. Baughman co. of 1914 N. Cogswell Rd. in El Monte, Calif. from a Canadian gal. Has anyone ever owned one of these? Does anyone know where I can get an operator's manual on how to calculate the focal lengths on this instrument. I can't figure it out for the life of me. You can see from the photo why I purchased it. It looks like a straight ahead DVF like a Mark 4 or something like that. It's actually like some kind of slide rule that ranges from 0-100 on one scale, 0-250 on anther that is linked to a scale in inches up to 40"

The words "Riesel-Ikon" and "Image Orth." are headings of scales indexed from 25-200.

Any help deciphering this puzzle would be most appreciated as it will have to do until I can afford a used Mark V.

Thanks,

post-178-1186095370_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I was researching directors view finders and came across this website at the same time I came across this company

this is a copy and paste from there site

Please email us with any questions you may have: Service at service@alangordon.com

Telephone: (800) 825-MOVI

Fax: (323) 871-2193.

Mailing address:

Directors Viewfinder, 5625 Melrose Avenue, Hollywood, California 90038, USA.

here is the link http://www.directorsviewfinders.com/main_frame.html

I would like to talk to you at a later point about making a movie if you have time. Thanks!

• Premium Member

Image Orth? That's probably short for an Image Orthicon television camera..........and therefore quite ancient. 3" IO's had a target size almost identical to that of a 35mm still camera which is close to a 35mm film Vistavision frame. If your finder has a setting for a 50mm lens on an IO the field of view would be similar to that of a 25mm lens on a standard 35mm Academy aperture motion picture camera. If you know a professional Camera Assistant they can probably help you work out a framing chart to "calibrate" your finder.