If You Could APPRENTICE with ONE CINEMATOGRAPHER Now...?

Tom Lowe

• Premium Member

Brad Grimmet here worked a day or two on that one... "Vampires: Out for Blood" as it is now called.

Tough movie, starting with the fact that 90% of it was handheld (by me) with a Panaflex GII. Tiny budget and really green crew. All shot in an abandoned hospital with no working elevators.

I was lucky to have you there, Darryl.

Darryl normally dolly grips for Phillipe Rousselot, but he was able to Key Grip this little movie.

It would be a priviledge to learn from somebody that went from being a great gaffer to a great dp. I've recently been impressed by Claudio Miranda's work. I believe he is to be known as a great master of lighting.

Ian

Edited by Ian Bloom

• Premium Member

Hi Matthew, a belated merry christmas and a timely "all the best for 2008" to you in lovely Newcastle.

Just a brief question: does the smiley refer to the Slocombe having an OBE or that you picked an "un-arty" movie you would like to apprentice with him on?

Cheers, -Michael

Hi Matthew, a belated merry christmas and a timely "all the best for 2008" to you in lovely Newcastle.

Just a brief question: does the smiley refer to the Slocombe having an OBE or that you picked an "un-arty" movie you would like to apprentice with him on?

Cheers, -Michael

Hi, Michael. Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to you too!!

The smiley refers to my mood at the time of writing. I did however know Raiders of The Lost Ark was not a beauty film, in part that's why I love it.

• Premium Member
Hi, Michael. Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to you too!!

The smiley refers to my mood at the time of writing. I did however know Raiders of The Lost Ark was not a beauty film, in part that's why I love it.

:D ! I see! To be honest, I can't wait to see how Spielberg will make Indy IV actually look. It has been a time since there was an "old school"-made cinematic blockbuster coming to a theatre near you.

Cheers Matthew!

-Michael

• 2 months later...

Being a female might help you apprentice with Chris Doyle - I have seen him talk a few times and he was very interested in getting female cinematographers out there. He also collaborates (and possibly started out mentoring??) Kathy LI.

I would agree

Doyle, Savides, Lubezki

not with us anymore - Sven Nykvist

Dante Spinotti! It was his cinematography that first inspired me. He has such a great upbringing in the craft. I firmly believe he is a bridge between classical and modern cinematography. I've been so tempted to contact him and see if he would allow me to intern for him. So if anyone knows him, can you put in a good word? I'll be there!

I had an intern on my last show... and the camera crew worked his ass off, don't know if I had time to even talk more than five minutes with him per day unfortunately, so whatever he learned about how I did things would have had to been through observation.

david..or anyone else...

is it fair that they worked his ass off while working for free? shouldn't he be learning? He isnt a camera PA...he is an intern. difference right ?

Roger Deakins.

Or Lubezki or Andrew Lesnie...

I don't get why Andrew Lesnie isn't mentioned more often, all his films I've seen have been amazing. Maybe it's un-cool to go for mainstream DP's...

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

I think like you Daniel , Andrew Leslie is very underated DP and agree about the fact he shoots films that make loads of money and look good to. Unlike and i know i will be craped on from a great height Harris Savides . Any one can under expose , looks poop to me . :(