Information about RED camera

Luke Haywood

Are speedramps possible in camera or would they have to be done in post by the way?

From Stuart English:

"Ramping is in the camera spec. Start at frame rate A and end at frame rate B with an external trigger of some kind - GPI or Wireless included - to initiate the speed change. Once you get beyound that, then we need ot move to an external control system."

This, and pretty much every fact that anyone has ever asked about the camera here, or made incorrect assumptions about, has been previously answered on reduser.net. All it takes is about 10 seconds of searching. Just ignore all but the posts not written by red staff, and you can skip past the people painting their children's eyeballs red and get to the relevant info much quicker.

R.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the accepted fact is more that not many uinque ideas were posted here, that they already didn't get elsewhere, from people that gave them less of a hard time, or accused them of being dishonest constantly. For examples of both, See every single thread here.

An "accepted fact" by no means guarantees accuracy (see Wikipedia :lol: ) No, it has been flatly stated, on numerous occasions, that "not a single good idea" has ever been posted here. OK they don't have to take all or any suggestions on board, and maybe other people thought of them first, but that's a long way form the implied assertion that all that is ever posted here are negative diatribes.

On the pro-RED forums, there's a overwhelming Hick mentality that seems to imagine their interests are best served by misrepresenting the viewpoints of people who ask legitimate but embarrassing questions, and then attacking that misrepresentation.

It provides considerable amusement, but little else.

Careful what generalizations you make about red users.

Some *cough* of us are active posters there and don't take kindly to being repeatedly insulted.

And do you defend this forum when almost everyone looking to start something on Reduser uses this forum as a punching bag. No you don't. Afraid you might be ostracized. Stay over there then have a blast and save us from your sensitive feelings.

I just wondered what happen to Jan...

Could it be that Jan is really someone else... working overseas... and that's why we haven't heard from him..

He disappeared once and there was one post that was really strange... it did not seem like the Jan of old... then the next post was the real Jan...

Thought maybe that day he had someone filling in for him...

Don't worry I don't believe in little green men.... just little green women...

Just rambling or something to think about to kill time on a hot day... between doing budgets and other things for two upcoming shoots...

Edited by Gary McClurg

An "accepted fact" by no means guarantees accuracy (see Wikipedia :lol: ) No, it has been flatly stated, on numerous occasions, that "not a single good idea" has ever been posted here. OK they don't have to take all or any suggestions on board, and maybe other people thought of them first, but that's a long way form the implied assertion that all that is ever posted here are negative diatribes.

On the pro-RED forums, there's a overwhelming Hick mentality that seems to imagine their interests are best served by misrepresenting the viewpoints of people who ask legitimate but embarrassing questions, and then attacking that misrepresentation.

It provides considerable amusement, but little else.

Wow. I guess the irony of posting a negative diatribe about people who think that all that is ever posted here are negative diatribes is lost on you.

And do you defend this forum when almost everyone looking to start something on Reduser uses this forum as a punching bag. No you don't. Afraid you might be ostracized. Stay over there then have a blast and save us from your sensitive feelings.

Yes Michael, people who are enthusiastic about a @?&*£!! camera are the ENEMY! It's a life and death situation and I'll defend this forum with my very life! , It's them versus us! You're either with us, or against us, baybee. The people at reduser hate our freedoms.

But seriously, I occasionally post here, and I occasionally post there, but I sure don't define myself by my relationship to a bloody web forum. This "them vs. us" mentality is painfully uninteresting. Maybe I should have put "accepted fact" in quotation marks.

R.

Wow. I guess the irony of posting a negative diatribe about people who think that all that is ever posted here are negative diatribes is lost on you.

Yes Michael, people who are enthusiastic about a @?&*£!! camera are the ENEMY! It's a life and death situation and I'll defend this forum with my very life! , It's them versus us! You're either with us, or against us, baybee. The people at reduser hate our freedoms.

But seriously, I occasionally post here, and I occasionally post there, but I sure don't define myself by my relationship to a bloody web forum. This "them vs. us" mentality is painfully uninteresting. Maybe I should have put "accepted fact" in quotation marks.

R.

Was I talking to you? No. So your enthusiasim makes you lump yourself into posts not directed towards you. Slow down get a job or hobby because you're way to high strung for this frivolity.

Was I talking to you? No. So your enthusiasim makes you lump yourself into posts not directed towards you. Slow down get a job or hobby because you're way to high strung for this frivolity.

Michael, this is not your personal forum. You don't get to tell other people what they can say, or to whom.

Best of luck,

R.

• Premium Member
I'll gve you some freedom of movement, and assume you meant "generally" instead of "always". Because, if you really meant always, You'll excuse me if I find this hard to swallow. What you are saying is, you could spot every single effects shot, of every film that EVER had 2k effects done to it. even just for wire removal. I just don't buy this at all. Even, as David said - shots that are on long lenses, so they are significantly soft anyway... as a general thing, yeah, maybe. But always? Thats just silly.

Well that remains to be seen. But obviously you have pretty high standards, which is a good thing.

I've got to agree with max here until films were finished with all 2k DI, FX intercuts were always noticeable- particularly in any projects that originated in scope. the worst recent example i can think of was that poop bond film where he does some surfing (i think it was the one with the invisible car), which i remember the effects people were really narked about as the budget would stretch to proper 4k scanning and they always new it wouldn't cut. now that is not to say that this problem necessarilly ruins films- i could live with the SD intercuts in delecatessen for example. but from a cinematography point of view you have to view this as a legitimate problem. it seems to me that it would be better to use an upressed vision research camera to intercut as the focal lengths/ depth of field would be better served than a windowed red option- i also have a feeling that there will be less of a sharpness drop as well.

keith

• Premium Member
but from a cinematography point of view you have to view this as a legitimate problem. it seems to me that it would be better to use an upressed vision research camera to intercut as the focal lengths/ depth of field would be better served than a windowed red option- i also have a feeling that there will be less of a sharpness drop as well.

keith

Hi Keith,

I tested the Phantom HD, I was really disappointed with the 'plastic look' I ended up shooting film to cut with the Viper.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi Keith,

I tested the Phantom HD, I was really disappointed with the 'plastic look' I ended up shooting film to cut with the Viper.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

was it a chroma/ highlight clipping issue? was it an early build? I had heard positive stuff about this camera and I was hoping to use one on a future project.

keith

• Premium Member
Hi Stephen,

was it a chroma/ highlight clipping issue? was it an early build? I had heard positive stuff about this camera and I was hoping to use one on a future project.

keith

Hi Keith,

The camera I tested was 'current' when I tested it about 3 months ago. De Bayering seemed to be a major issue, when you enlarged the image you could see horizontal & vertical 'banding?' colors were not pure & without depth, limited Dynamic range, resolution was also less than I would have expected. After reading glowing reports on CML I was very disappointed.

Stephen

Hi Keith,

The camera I tested was 'current' when I tested it about 3 months ago. De Bayering seemed to be a major issue, when you enlarged the image you could see horizontal & vertical 'banding?' colors were not pure & without depth, limited Dynamic range, resolution was also less than I would have expected. After reading glowing reports on CML I was very disappointed.

Stephen

Hmmn, I question which camera you tested and what firmware level it had reached. Banding is a thing of the past with these cameras and we've seen excellent improvement on the other areas you mention.

• Premium Member
Hmmn, I question which camera you tested and what firmware level it had reached. Banding is a thing of the past with these cameras and we've seen excellent improvement on the other areas you mention.

Hi Mitch,

It came from France, & had been doing the rounds, the PL mount was tight as one of my Cooke lenses didn't really fit properly. (The same happened at a demo at a big rental house in Paris, they ordered some cameras) The person who came with it did not have much idea about the film business or how to set up the camera for optimum performance. I spent 4 hours trying to get some pictures I might be able to use before having fun shooting @1000 fps.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Seriously folks, it's time to wake up and repeat to yourselves: "It's only a camera, it's only a camera, it's only a camera!" over and over again.

Actually, the thing to do is relax and repeat to ourselves: "It's going to be a camera some day, it's going to be a camera some day". Then just sit back and let the Red people do their jobs. Let them take their time and get it right. It would be a shame to have it fall short because they rushed it out the door.

-- J.S.

Hi Mitch,

It came from France, & had been doing the rounds, the PL mount was tight as one of my Cooke lenses didn't really fit properly. (The same happened at a demo at a big rental house in Paris, they ordered some cameras) The person who came with it did not have much idea about the film business or how to set up the camera for optimum performance. I spent 4 hours trying to get some pictures I might be able to use before having fun shooting @1000 fps.

Stephen

We're working to improve this sort of thing. We know about these issues and have corrections in place for them. Trust me that the camera can perform significantly better than what you experienced.

We're working to improve this sort of thing. We know about these issues and have corrections in place for them. Trust me that the camera can perform significantly better than what you experienced.

Hi Mitch,

the Wachowski Bros are shooting Speed Racer around the corner in Berlin-Babelsberg with Sonys F23 HDCAM SR - i have been told that they are also using the Phantom 65s side by side, do you know anything of this?

Hi Mitch,

the Wachowski Bros are shooting Speed Racer around the corner in Berlin-Babelsberg with Sonys F23 HDCAM SR - i have been told that they are also using the Phantom 65s side by side, do you know anything of this?

Nothing that I'm at liberty to discuss.

Nothing that I'm at liberty to discuss.

did abel miss the oppurtunity?

btw.

i think average rental for a 35 mm cam will slightly be reduced.

we calculate_

$$ with s35 sensor and optics/lens within 2008.

not $$$.

including very agressive mails to producers.

you know, the "you wouldn´t "dare style.

also, we will take clear judgement and position.

especially regarding posts in internet forums.

important as well.

any dop who doesn´t want to work with the gear isn´t acceptable.

1st acs as the vocal minority here (hello max, phil) might get an job offer.

however, they pissed of many people, and therefore - i will link their posts.

maybe someone will discover their talent.

yorick.

• Premium Member
also, we will take clear judgement and position.

especially regarding posts in internet forums.

important as well.

any dop who doesn´t want to work with the gear isn´t acceptable.

1st acs as the vocal minority here (hello max, phil) might get an job offer.

however, they pissed of many people, and therefore - i will link their posts.

maybe someone will discover their talent.

Haha, are you for real?

Great rental company you have there, telling people who to hire and who not. Bet producers will love it when you tell them how to do their job. Sorry Jan, but in my opinion you are turning into a public relations nightmare for your company. Reading posts like these, I'd never even consider renting from you.

• Premium Member
Haha, are you for real?

Great rental company you have there, telling people who to hire and who not. Bet producers will love it when you tell them how to do their job.

Hi Max,

I've known local post production, rental houses & laboratories take that stand in Switzerland. Now they cry that I often rent equipment, take crew & post produce abroad.

Stephen

did abel miss the oppurtunity?

Who says we missed anything. I just said that I'm not at liberty to discuss it.

I'm happy to participate in wed forums where possible, but you have no idea the number of NDA (non-disclosure agreements) I'm under. Certain things are not for public consumption.

• Premium Member
Hi Max,

I've known local post production, rental houses & laboratories take that stand in Switzerland. Now they cry that I often rent equipment, take crew & post produce abroad.

Stephen

I'm not sure exactly how it works here, but there's something about maintaining a "do not hire" list. It might be a law that lets the unions sue people who do it, I'm not sure. But it will make you quite unpopular with the unions.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
I'm not sure exactly how it works here, but there's something about maintaining a "do not hire" list. It might be a law that lets the unions sue people who do it, I'm not sure. But it will make you quite unpopular with the unions.

-- J.S.

Hi John,

I don't have a do not hire list, I am a member of the local union.

The total G & E departments in Switzerland is probably under 50 people, there very few real Gaffers. I often don't have any choice unless I actively take a trainee electrician (or grip) as my Gaffer.

I had a new local 1 AC, we needed 100 takes to get focus for 1 shot, should I use him again on a complex job?

As for equipment I reserve an Arri 435 with Cooke S4's and got given an Arri III, no video assist. A more important DP wanted the 435 and they only had one at that time. Same with lighting "sorry we don't have any flicker free units for the 6K par & the 18K you ordered is not back from a shoot.

With another rental house in another city I drove for 3 hours to check out their lights rather than just make a list for a shoot the following week, did I get what I asked for? No I got the poop that nobody else wanted.

What would you do?

Stephen