FCP capture

HORACIO PLATA

The "DV in" thru the firewire connection on the XL1 is not recognised by FC;

FCP capture quits as soon as Log and capture is launched.

I tried trashing preferences; but still FCP does quit.(FCP HD 4,3 on G4/intel)

Any help will be deeply appreciatted.

• Premium Member
The "DV in" thru the firewire connection on the XL1 is not recognised by FC;

FCP capture quits as soon as Log and capture is launched.

I tried trashing preferences; but still FCP does quit.(FCP HD 4,3 on G4/intel)

Any help will be deeply appreciatted.

hi g4/intel not possible, g4's are all power pc. what version of quicktime? what OS? is it just the XL1 or is it all firewire sources that it is crashing on? oh and you can change your login to your real name in your 'my controls' link. it is a requirement of this forum.

keith

Thanks for answering Keith; OK I changed the Display from initials to my complete name;(all caps, sorry.can't fix it)

(g4/intel ) I meant on both computers; OSX Version 10.4, FCP xpress, FCP4 & FCP3.

It is just the XL1 Firewire connection that is not recognized from FCP;other FW Drives are OK.

I was able to capture using Imovie, but the files are not readable by FCP; I tried exporting them;with no luck, there is always a file error.

Any ideas?

• Premium Member
Thanks for answering Keith; OK I changed the Display from initials to my complete name;(all caps, sorry.can't fix it)

(g4/intel ) I meant on both computers; OSX Version 10.4, FCP xpress, FCP4 & FCP3.

It is just the XL1 Firewire connection that is not recognized from FCP;other FW Drives are OK.

I was able to capture using Imovie, but the files are not readable by FCP; I tried exporting them;with no luck, there is always a file error.

Any ideas?

ok so you have two computers one is a g4 (tower?) and the other is an intel (imac? or macpro? or macbook?) on one can you tell me exactly what version of osx, quicktime and fcp. if you can capture with firewire into imovie then this sounds like a software conflict between quicktime and fcp so if you tell me which versions you are running i can probably help. also pal or ntsc?

keith

ok so you have two computers one is a g4 (tower?) and the other is an intel (imac? or macpro? or macbook?) on one can you tell me exactly what version of osx, quicktime and fcp. if you can capture with firewire into imovie then this sounds like a software conflict between quicktime and fcp so if you tell me which versions you are running i can probably help. also pal or ntsc?

keith

Right! it is as follows: On my G4, I have OSX version 10.3.9, Quicktime Player Version 7.1.6,FCP 4

It does have a Targa Cinewave; but the analogue capture is working OK.

On the Imac ( 2ghz intel) the OSX Version 10.4, Quicktime 7, FCP express.

On both computers the Firewire connection from XL1 is not recognized from when application(FCP) starts;so I click on continue... FCP quits as soon as log & capture is launched.

If I launch Log & Capture first, then turn on camera with firewire ( preview disable),The FCP application does not quit; but the

Video is not captured,neither an imported file is created. capture presets are set to Firewire NTSC, but no video is coming in.. after log & Capture is open I toogle with capture presets; the only ones that give a preview and import are the Targa analogue thru an analogue cable connection.

When Log & capture is open after the Firewire connection is turned on FCP quits instantaneously.

I hope this descripcion makes any sense.

I do appreciate your willingness to figure it out.

Best Regards.

• Premium Member
Right! it is as follows: On my G4, I have OSX version 10.3.9, Quicktime Player Version 7.1.6,FCP 4

It does have a Targa Cinewave; but the analogue capture is working OK.

On the Imac ( 2ghz intel) the OSX Version 10.4, Quicktime 7, FCP express.

On both computers the Firewire connection from XL1 is not recognized from when application(FCP) starts;so I click on continue... FCP quits as soon as log & capture is launched.

If I launch Log & Capture first, then turn on camera with firewire ( preview disable),The FCP application does not quit; but the

Video is not captured,neither an imported file is created. capture presets are set to Firewire NTSC, but no video is coming in.. after log & Capture is open I toogle with capture presets; the only ones that give a preview and import are the Targa analogue thru an analogue cable connection.

When Log & capture is open after the Firewire connection is turned on FCP quits instantaneously.

I hope this descripcion makes any sense.

I do appreciate your willingness to figure it out.

Best Regards.

Horacio,

you have a right hodge podge of settings here and it is highly likely that you are creating problems for yourself by keeping your software updated at different rates. first off though i assume that you have trashed your prefferences- as these are the most likeliest thing to have become corrupted. assuming that you have and you are still haveing no joy the first thing i would do is try and create at least one computer that has software of the same generation- the easiest in this case would be the intel- update fcp express to the most recent version, take quicktime up to 7.16 and take osx up to 10.10. however i am now also beginning to question whether there could be a firmware problem with your camera (though god knows how) as i cannot see why two very different setups are not recognising your camera. so to discount this you should also take you camera to another person's studio (which is solid) and see if it is creating the same problem. bottom line is FCP is not microsoft word it is a high end editing pacage and like avid has to be treated with respect if you want it to run flawlessly- this means all updates (qt/ osx/ fcp) have to be done with the same generation for ultimate stability. FCP 4.0 is not a stable build as well. You really should be on version 5.1 or above (but then I supose you would lose cinewave?).

keith

You are absolutely right, Keith. I want to keep my cinewave for now.

On my last attempt , I up graded to the newest version of Quicktime and it seemed to solve the problem.

I opened FCP, launched Log & capture and finally got preview enable with device control.

then captured few clips OK.

newer versions of FCP projects are not backward compatible' that prevent me from opening them on FCP4.

I should not resist change anyway.

Thanks for all your support.