Becoming an AC

I am interested in beginning the path towards becoming an AC of some kind, but am unsure where to start.

What is the entry-level position into the camera department, and where do you acquire the training to be qualified for this position?

Thank you very much for any information anyone can provide.

I am interested in beginning the path towards becoming an AC of some kind, but am unsure where to start.

What is the entry-level position into the camera department, and where do you acquire the training to be qualified for this position?

Try and see if there are any features coming to town, they usually have camera-intern positions for people just like yourself. Basically, you would be a PA for the camera dept. I would say that this is the most entry level position into the camera dept. Have you done any PA work before, or would this be your first time getting on a project? The first thing I would say is just get on a set! You could also try to get a job/internship at a local rental house, since all of the productions in your area will most likely make use of it, and also the people who will get funneled in there will most likely be AC's since they're the ones who prep the camera package at the rental house. Anyhow, hope this helps and good luck! Be smart, work hard, and don't show any attitude!

I recommend buying my book "The Camera Assistant's Manual" published by Focal Press. It is a great tool to learn the job responsibilites of the 1st and 2nd AC. Feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

David E. Elkins, SOC

Camera Operator

www.davidelkins.com

david@davidelkins.com

• Premium Member
I recommend buying my book "The Camera Assistant's Manual" published by Focal Press. It is a great tool to learn the job responsibilites of the 1st and 2nd AC. Feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

David E. Elkins, SOC

Camera Operator

www.davidelkins.com

david@davidelkins.com

That's very gracious, David!

Chris: If you've never done anything like that, your first step is to get on a set doing something. If you can get a camera intern or PA job, do it. In the meantime, David's book would be a very smart read.

• 2 weeks later...

yes i recomand devid's book as well.

it's one thing to have the chance to get on a set it's an other thing to deserve it and to give people the feeling they just have to call you to have the job done properly.

you have to know wat your aredoing prior to sell yourself.

and never lie on your knowledge people will know within 2 sentences if you are what you are.

camera assistant is a technical work so learn the technicks and the theorie, you mentor on the set will teach you "the set"

have fun