Online location listing

let me elaborate. I was wondering if, like craigslist, there is an online site dedicated to listing homes for use in film projects as well as a "wanted" section that would allow me to describe the kind of house I am looking to shoot in, and allowing for responses from that site anon to my email address. I am trying to get creative here but I am beginning to exhaust my resources and I know of no one that has the kind of house I am looking to shoot in. Anyway, any type of feedback is much appreciated.

Your local film commission should have a set of photo books that will showcase houses and other properties that have made themselves available for filming. These homes might be available for online viewing but you'll have to contact the film commission. In Los Angeles, there are some online services for available that do the same, but these sites are for profit and as such you'll have to pay a fee.

You might want to contact a realtor and tell them what you're looking for. Some work with the film community and, in conjunction with the home owner, will make the property available while waiting to be sold. If you have a very specific architectural aesthetic you're looking for, you might need to contact a realtor that specializes in homes that are Craftsman, antebellum, colonial, etc. or whatever period of home you might be looking for.

I really appreciate your feedback. I went the Film Commission route but because I live in between NYC and Woodstock; our commission is pretty busy and there definitely is a fee to hire a location scout to walk with you. I never thought about using a realtor. Such a simple suggestion that I honestly never even considered. I actually know a few now that I think about it and will be reaching out to them for some help. Thanks again for your response!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, brilliant first step! My agent/friend already sent me like a dozen listings with very similar descriptions for what I am looking for. Now this is going to seem like a really really naive/dumb question but....what is the next logical step here? I think I have an idea of what direction to go, but I would like to adhere to some sort of professional convention or rule in terms who I am supposed to talk to and what kind of materials I should have in advance.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom that can be imparted here.

-Anthony