L558D Vs L558cine

I was just wondering can you use the Sekonic 558 or 758 photography meter rather than the cine? I know the cine has some special functions but it is like 300 bucks more where as all I want is a reflected/incident/spot meter that will take whatever ASA I have and give the correct f-stop.

Thanks

I bought the 558 photo version, simply because I got a very good deal on it, beyond the $300 difference in cost.

The thing to remember about these things is that they're basically an analogue light meter with a calculator. The Cine version simply has more options for making adjustments to your light reading, most of which can still be done on the regular version, or your arithmeitic-enabled brain.

It may not let you dial in things like shutter angle, but its not difficult to compensate by changing the ASA speed.

The only thing I miss about the Cine version is footcandle readings, which the photo version doesn't do. This isn't a function that on it's own is worth $300 mind you.

To me, the 558 represented a better value. I don't work on film shoots very often, and when I do, it's often I personally need a light meter. I almost never use it for video stuff, except perhaps the spot meter to check a greenscreen or something. I bought it mainly for my personal projects, and for the odd time I'd need it professionally.

In this capacity it has served me well.

That's me though. What sort of work are you going to be doing? Will you be shooting lots of film? Is it for professional use or just personal stuff?

HI

I do own an L 558, but really, all that math should be in our heads like our fingers in our hands, I mean, should be instant math solving in our heads always. And yes, you can use a still photgraphy meter for film, no worries.

All the best

Oscar

• Premium Member

When I got my 558 Cine, I thought it was way too much and too complicated. (I still have my 25 year old CalcuLight LED). As time has passed I have fallen in love with my Cine. You can have my 558 Cine when you pry my cold, dead fingers from it.