Where do you buy your film stock?

Tim O'Connor

• Premium Member

I used to shoot film much more often but for a long time have been shooting

mostly video or quite a lot P2 (okay not film but not tape.)

I have some small projects that I would like to do with 16 mm. color negative and

possibly one with 35 mm. color negative.

There seem to be a lot of places that sell film online, brand new film never opened,

recans, short ends.

I think that for tests I might like to buy the latter two and buy brand new unopened

for the actual projects.

Do people have any recommendations for favorite and reliable places from which to

buy film? Do many of you buy from different places depending on the price or do

some of you want to buy from the manufacturer no matter what? Thanks!

• Premium Member
Call up Fuji or Kodak for the new stuff, that's really the best way and if you're a student, there's a discount. You're also from Boston so you can also go to Boston Camera Rental too.

Yeah, direct is the best... you know it's been stored properly and their shipping is pretty cheap since they deal with such quantities.

I buy 16mm & super 8 direct... sometimes only a few rolls at a time.

Kodak: 1-800-621-FILM (3456)

Fuji: (888) 424-3854

• Premium Member
Have you ever gotten a package deal at spectra film? I'm curious how good their transfer is.

They're really nice people and will help you with any questions you might have. Definitely much better than Pro8mm. But I'm not convinced their colorists are on the same par as FSFT in Seattle... or their machines.

Hey Adam,

Have you ever gotten a package deal at spectra film? I'm curious how good their transfer is.

I've supervised sessions at Spectra for S8mm, the results were solid, I will use them again.

Naturally for 16mm you can go to the bigger labs such as Laser and Technicolor. I just did some 16m at Technicolor and the session was great. Closest I've ever come to having a colorist read my mind.