Panasonic DVX100B or Canon XM2 Wanted.

Matthew Buick

Hi.

I'm looking for a Panasonic DVX100B or a Canon XM2 in PAL format. I would like one in as nice a cosmetic condition as possible, with every function working properly. I'm not really too bothered wth loads of fancy accesories, just the stuff that came in the box, and preferably the box as well.

Name your price.

Matthew Buick.

"I want to shoot large volumes of stuff"

Exactly! This is why you'll fail with video, video does not discipline the user the way film does.

Sure you'll shoot lots of stuff, but none of it will be exceptional or praiseworthy, it will look like all the other bad student video out there on YouTube.

Shoot film....suddenly you'll see the world from a whole new perspective. You'll spend way more time finding interesting angles, creating unique compositions, and using light in a creative way. Video shooters just don't get this.

Plus early film experience will suit you well much further on with your career.

You can ignore my advice now and buy your video camera, but one day you'll realize that I was right.

If you can't shoot 16mm I understand that, shoot Super 8, many students do.

R,

Matt, out of interest, what have you actually shot so far?

You've probably gotten all this advice before but, have you signed up to shootingpeople.org yet?

People there are generally willing to take on students as P.A's.

Sure they're crap, but we've all got to start somewhere.

It just seems to me that you're trying to 'figure out' how films are made by going out and seeing what works and what doesn't. Viewing other people?s films being made teaches you so much more and even better, it's at their expense.

I'll stop playing 'Mr. Patronising. Know-it-all' now, but that is the general idea I'm getting when you talk about getting new gear etc.

Matt, out of interest, what have you actually shot so far?

You've probably gotten all this advice before but, have you signed up to shootingpeople.org yet?

People there are generally willing to take on students as P.A's.

Sure they're crap, but we've all got to start somewhere.

It just seems to me that you're trying to 'figure out' how films are made by going out and seeing what works and what doesn't. Viewing other people?s films being made teaches you so much more and even better, it's at their expense.

I'll stop playing 'Mr. Patronising. Know-it-all' now, but that is the general idea I'm getting when you talk about getting new gear etc.

I've shot a good deal of stuff around my local town and a bit in Paris. I'll show oyu some when I have the time.

Geez you can't even have a conversation with the guy. Major bummer man :(

R,

Richard, I'm taking your advice. I'm going to get an SLR that can unsqueeze anamorphic images, an Anamorphic Lens, three Primes, and a Softbank.

Sorry to be abrupt.