Zeiss ultraprimes vs superspeeds at T2.8

Mr. Macgregor

Hi all. For a two camera shooting. Do you think i could mix shots taken with these two different sets at the same given T number? I want to shoot at T2.8 where both should perform quite well. Will i get similar resolution?

Also i am worried about the Superspeeds being quite older, in terms of barrel distortion in the wider lenses.

best,

Mac

• Premium Member
Hi all. For a two camera shooting. Do you think i could mix shots taken with these two different sets at the same given T number? I want to shoot at T2.8 where both should perform quite well. Will i get similar resolution?

Also i am worried about the Superspeeds being quite older, in terms of barrel distortion in the wider lenses.

best,

Mac

Hi Mac,

IMO the Ultraprimes will be sharper.

Stephen

• Premium Member

Nobody will be able to see the difference unless it's an A and B test. Heck, they intercut zooms with primes all the time on features, and nobody spots that - and they're often far worse.

The Superspeeds are sharp lenses when stopped down. They fall apart a bot wide open (but in a nice, organic way), but from T2 an upwards, they're pretty hot.

• Premium Member
A desert, with very straight horizontal lines:

salt_flat_corrected_m.jpg

Hi Mac,

IMO the Master primes would be better for wide shots like that, for close ups of people I would prefer the Super Speeds .The difference in resolution is fairly obvious if you project the film in the cinema.

Stephen

Hi Mac,

IMO the Master primes would be better for wide shots like that, for close ups of people I would prefer the Super Speeds .The difference in resolution is fairly obvious if you project the film in the cinema.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen. Master primes are away too far in price for this shooting.

The story involves some wide shots and very close ups (85-135mm).

What would you recommend then to rent?

I am thinking that i might skip film for this project and go with a RED. But since no one has ever used a red1, no one knows how cine lenses should perform (besides the S4 that Peter J and Red team have been using).

• Premium Member
Thanks Stephen. Master primes are away too far in price for this shooting.

The story involves some wide shots and very close ups (85-135mm).

What would you recommend then to rent?

I am thinking that i might skip film for this project and go with a RED. But since no one has ever used a red1, no one knows how cine lenses should perform (besides the S4 that Peter J and Red team have been using).

Hi Mac,

As Adam says Superspeeds are sharp, I always use them when budgets are tight. They work OK with a P+S adapter so should work well with a RED.

Stephen