SD monitor for XH A1??

Mariano Nante

Hi,

I'm about to shoot a short film with the XH A1. I have access to a 14-inch SONY monitor, which I'm almost certain is SD. I do not really know the specific model.

I was wondering if I can plug this camera to the monitor via BNC. Can it be done? Will it be an accurate display? Will I be able to use the vectoroscope and stuff?

I also have a 3.0 GHz laptop with Adobe OnLocation, but according to the official requirements it's not good enough for HDV...

What do you guys think?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks a lot!

• Premium Member

An SD monitor should work just fine, and will be "accurate" for the SD downconvert that the camera sends out. As long as the monitor is properly calibrated to color bars, you shouldn't have any nasty surprises regarding exposure or color saturation. HD colorspace isn't exactly the same as NTSC, but you can at least get a good idea of what an NTSC version of your film will look like.

Focus will be your big difference. SD monitors won't reveal the critical focus errors that an HD monitor would show.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I'm about to shoot a short film with the XH A1. I have access to a 14-inch SONY monitor, which I'm almost certain is SD. I do not really know the specific model.

I was wondering if I can plug this camera to the monitor via BNC. Can it be done? Will it be an accurate display? Will I be able to use the vectoroscope and stuff?

I also have a 3.0 GHz laptop with Adobe OnLocation, but according to the official requirements it's not good enough for HDV...

What do you guys think?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Your laptop should be strong enough..I use my DVrackHD (same as OnLocation) on a 2.0 AMD 64 laptop and runs fine shooting with my A1. I have 1.25gigs of ram in it.