PUTTING LIGHTS IN STORAGE

I have some lights that my roommate wants me to remove from our living room :(

I was looking at taking the lights to a self storage unit but I just dont think i can justify the amount it will cost vs. for them...given their value. I was looking at storing them on my patio but i was looking at getting one of those portable weather proof sheds. I'm sure it will keep the rain out but i'm concerned when winter rolls around and condensation gets in there and starts corroding everything. I live in north hollywood so it doesnt get too cold here. I was wondering if anybody else has done something like this and wouldn't mind chiming in with some advice. thanks

gordon

by the way....if anybody is interested in 3x mole richardson super softlights - 2k(1k switches), let me know! They were $1000 a piece at one time.

• Premium Member

I was looking at taking the lights to a self storage unit but I just dont think i can justify the amount it will cost vs. for them...given their value. I was looking at storing them on my patio but i was looking at getting one of those portable weather proof sheds. I'm sure it will keep the rain out but i'm concerned when winter rolls around and condensation gets in there and starts corroding everything. I live in north hollywood so it doesnt get too cold here. I was wondering if anybody else has done something like this and wouldn't mind chiming in with some advice. thanks

gordon

by the way....if anybody is interested in 3x mole richardson super softlights - 2k(1k switches), let me know! They were $1000 a piece at one time.

I think they should be fine as long as you get them up off the ground. Perhaps give the metal a light wipe-down with a light oil like WD-40. That should protect against rust pretty well. Just remember to wipe it back off and light them for a while before you do it on a set. They will smoke a bit and burn off the oil.

Wow Gordon, and I thought I had problems in finding space for my softbox kit! 3 x 2k soft lights in the livingroom...awesome

Yeah, hopefully your patio is well covered from the limited elements that Hollywood experiences. I'd agree with doing what you can to keep things lubed up and rust free while they're out there.

Good to hear from ya :)

• Premium Member

Whatcha got here is the wrong roommate. Keep the lights, get another movie type to room with.

The soft lights use those double ended tube halogens, right? IIRC you can get lower wattages in the same length, like 200 - 300 Watts, 2800 Kelvin. Put those in, run them on dimmers, use them as your regular light source at night.

-- J.S.

Whatcha got here is the wrong roommate. Keep the lights, get another movie type to room with.

I second that! I roomed with other film students and our place always had something lying around... lighting kits, grip equipment, cameras, chinese lanterns, film cans, and whatnot. No one minded :)

• Premium Member

No electrical or electronic equipment likes being stored in unheated or cooled, humid, dusty places. Over time metal surfaces will corrode, bugs and spiders will creep in, etc., etc. I've seen people ruin very high dollar equipment by being too cheap to properly house and/or store it.

LOL...I know. He's heading towards Post production now so he doesnt have anything to gain from my gear....I'll remember that when he want to use my steadicam for a gig :)

Wow Gordon, and I thought I had problems in finding space for my softbox kit! 3 x 2k soft lights in the livingroom...awesome

MISTAW BOWERBANK,

whats up dude? I kinda was expecting you to chime in. what kind off softbox do you have? I'm thinking of selling mine and getting some chimeras. My softlights are awesome but they just take up too much space. Anyways, good to hear from you too....remmy:)

gordon

I just got a lil' case with a Photoflex starlite kit. Chimeras are just as good in my book, if not better because of they do have a wider selection of light control options.

If you plan on selling yours, lemme know, I'll probably be in the market for some more gear soon.

Peace!