Need advice from Super 8 know-it-alls

Matthew W. Phillips

• Premium Member

I am looking to acquire a Leicina Special so I can use interchangable lenses, and I found one on eBay now with an Optivaron 1.8/6-66mm lense in excellent condition for a Buy it now price of $745.00USD. It's in Budapest and Im in California, so Im sure the shipping cost will be expensive. Is this a decent deal or can I do better for a camera of this caliber? I am looking for input regarding this price vs other Leicina Specials, not silly debates about how I should get a Beaulieu instead. I don't want a Beaulieu, I want the Special. Any input is appreciated!

I am looking to acquire a Leicina Special so I can use interchangable lenses, and I found one on eBay now with an Optivaron 1.8/6-66mm lense in excellent condition for a Buy it now price of $745.00USD. It's in Budapest and Im in California, so Im sure the shipping cost will be expensive. Is this a decent deal or can I do better for a camera of this caliber? I am looking for input regarding this price vs other Leicina Specials, not silly debates about how I should get a Beaulieu instead. I don't want a Beaulieu, I want the Special. Any input is appreciated!

Hello Matthew,

I wouldn't bid on that item from that seller for a few reasons. First, that seller has only sold about 35 items which isn't many on eBay, so his "trust" factor is small. Second, he doesn't take PayPal as a form of payment. PayPal is a company that is owned by eBay and is very safe and secure. If you pay through PayPal your item is covered in case of a variety of reasons. Which means that you will normally get your money back if things go wrong. That seller only takes money order which means if anything goes wrong, if he doesn't give your money back, you are out of luck.

Also, that seller has tried to sell that same camera two other times in the last 30 days on eBay with no bidders. Both times the opening bid was 650.00. That tells you that 650.00 is too much for that camera.

For my money I would buy a Canon 1014XLS which is an outstanding Super-8 camera.

I would pass on that auction and wait for another seller and another Leicina Special. Bad things can happen on eBay and how would you feel if you lost that kind of money?

Mike

• Premium Member

Normally if a seller gets no opening bids and then relists the item they would lower the price, not raise it.

Definitely check the praise history comments of the seller. Check to see if the praises are all from different sources and see if you can determine the value of the items. Getting praised for selling a 5 dollar item does nothing to prove they are legitimatet. Check out the most recent auctions that link from the praises to get a feel for what the seller was selling.

It might also be interesting to see how the camera was used by the filmmaker as well since they live in a place that probably does not see a lot of super-8 filmmaking.

Hi Matthew - today might be your lucky day - I'm about to list my Leicina Special on eBay with a starting price of AU$400 (US$326) -- check on eBay in a few hours - I'll PM you the link when it's up anyway. It's in good condition - I've never used it actually - I just need the money! :o (I do accept paypal and I have a good feedback rating too!)

Scot

Edited by Scot McPhie

It might be interesting to see how the camera was used by this filmmaker as well since they live in a place that probably does not see a lot of super-8 filmmaking.

Alex,

Check out http://www.super8mm.hu/ for Hungarian super 8. My most recent short, There May Be Pleasure is playing in the festival competition on September 7th.

Also see ; http://onsuper8.blogspot.com/2007/08/hunga...or-super-8.html

The Super 8 Group in Szeged, Hungary has been collecting small gauge films for more than 7 years with over 170 hours of film material collected and ready to be digitalized and categorized. When they're not collecting, the group also shoots Super 8 films which also serve as a background to their multimedia performances.

This year the Group are staging their own Super 8 Film Festival on the 6th to 9th September 2007 in their hometown and are calling for international entries.

The rules are simple - only on 8mm or Super 8 film - and submission categories include - feature films, short films, documentary, animation, travelogues, clips and private films.

Entry is free and the deadline is 20th August. For more details see www.super8mm.hu or send entries on DVD to - Rózsa Péter, 6721 Szeged, Római krt.40., Hungary.

What would shipping be to zip code 95660? Thanks a lot, and correct me if Im wrong, but aren't you the Director of "In my Image"? If so, I saw your work and admire how you did a feature in Super 8.

Regards,

Matthew

Yep that's me - thanks for the compliment - as far as shipping goes - give me a day or so I'll pack it up and take it to the post office and get a quote for you

thanks

Scot

• Premium Member
I am confused over which of these Leicina's have manual exposure and which ones only have auto with one f-stop overexpose shift. Does the interchangeability of the lens mean it does have manual exposure but does not have auto-exposure?

Hello Alex, maybe I can help out with your question:

It's the Leitz Leicina Super and its upgrade, the Leitz Leicina Super RT-1 that have only automatic exposure control (but with exposure lock and a plus/minus one f-stop adjustment). They also don't have an interchangeable lens option.

The Leitz Leicina Special is the one that accepts interchangeable lenses with M-Mount. Its standard Schneider Leicina-Optivaron 1:1,8 / 6-66mm features the Leitz Leicinamatic attached to the lens which allows automatic exposure control. It can be switched off for manual aperture control (through an f-stop setting ring on the lens).

When any other lens is mounted on the Special, only manual aperture control is possible. In the viewfinder, a follow pointer indicates the relative TTL exposure level which you need to adjust on the lens' f-stop setting ring.

• Premium Member
I see this is your first post on Cinematography.com, thanks for sharing that very useful information.

When the automatic exposure is "locked", what type of mechanism is used? Is it a button that has to be continually depressed?

Yep, first posting indeed, this is already the fifth. How time flies... ;)

On the Leitz Leicina Super RT-1, exposure lock is activated by pressing down the knurled button on the topside of the camera (it's the rearmost one in the "black plastic basket" that also houses the electric zoom controls). The f-stop is held as long as you press down this button. If you need a more permanent lock of this f-stop, just turn the button clockwise while pressing it down. This arrests exposure lock permanently.

On the Leitz Leicina Special, automatic exposure control is switched off by setting the button on the case of the Leitz Leicinamatic to 'manual'.