Final beginner 16mm questions..

Joe Bressler

Okay, I posted a while back about getting into 16mm... was in a dilemma over which camera to get.

well, I ended up ordering the krasnogorsk-3. I am now in the process of ordering my first roll of film and a light meter. I found this site ( http://www.tapesuperstore.com/kovi50d72.html ) where i can order the film i need but the ordering process is quite confusing, which leads to my first question: if anyone has used this site before, do you only order one quantity, or do you order 100? because in my first attempt to order 100' of film it looked like it was about to charge me for only 1'.

secondly, i am looking for good light meter recommendations, i was recommended a sekonic model but i was looking for something (hopefully) cheaper??

thanks and take care

"KODAK VISION2 50D Film 7201 Factory Sealed 100' Daylight Spool $.40/ft.", it's pretty clear that it's $.40 per foot, for a 100' roll which will be $40...however, their ordering process seems to be messed up. When I clicked on the "Order" button, it did come up as being only 40 cents for the entire roll, ha ha

Give them a call at the phone number at the bottom of the page and have'em fix it.

Light meter wise, the Sekonic Studio Deluxe is quite inexpensive, and extremely cheap on eBay: http://www.sekonic.com/products/products.asp?ID=109

• Premium Member
"KODAK VISION2 50D Film 7201 Factory Sealed 100' Daylight Spool $.40/ft.", it's pretty clear that it's $.40 per foot, for a 100' roll which will be $40...however, their ordering process seems to be messed up. When I clicked on the "Order" button, it did come up as being only 40 cents for the entire roll, ha ha

They probly have it that way as they also sell shot ends

YOu might order say 600 feet of ends, and they would provide anywhere from 1 to 6 phyical rolls of film, depending what they have in stock. (most placed that sell ends don't bother with ends of les than 100FT) They probly should have a note saying that you can only order the factory rolls in multiples of 100 ft to make it all clear. :)

Normaly 100FT rolls come on a spool, most ends sellers will re-roll 100ft lenths on a spool., there were 200, and 400 ft spools at one time, as well as the special 200ft A-Minima spools. They are now seldom seen.

IF you buy ends, be caseful that you don't get a 100FT on a core. It would be legit for someone to sell it that way. anything over 100ft will have a 99% probality of being on a core.

You might consider trying Fuji 64D film instead. You can save some money at $.33 and still have the fine grain quality of the 7201.

Also try http://mediadistributors.com

I have been trying to order Fuji from Media Distributors all week. They don't seem to like "small orders". They would not return a price quote on on order of 2-100' rolls. So I called and was not treaded well after I mentioned I only wanted 2 rolls. I just hung up on them. I would not do business with them again.

Edited by AdamBray

• 2 weeks later...

I would stay away from short ends if you need 100 foot daylight spools. It's not worth the inevitable screw up. Your best bet is to buy direct from Kodak. They've been discontinuing 100 foot loads left and right, it seems, but many stocks are still available, at excellent prices.

I would stay away from short ends if you need 100 foot daylight spools. It's not worth the inevitable screw up. Your best bet is to buy direct from Kodak. They've been discontinuing 100 foot loads left and right, it seems, but many stocks are still available, at excellent prices.

Jim is right. Short ends and re-cans are almost always on cores, which means having to respool.

If you are in the states your best bet is to buy from Kodak as the american office is supposed to be good and helpful. You can even get a student discount if you are a student. Also as someone else mentioned Fuji are definitely worth contacting, for a cheaper option.

love

Freya

I am always amazed at how good the service is at Kodak. I have ordered up to 1200' and ONE roll of 100' 16mm a few times and they have been very helpful and professional every time. The order has always arrived on time or early!

I can't say enough nice things about my experience with Kodak.

Toby