Script Treatment Software-free if possible

James Steven Beverly

I was just wondering if there is any software out there (free if possible) that is specifically geared to writing treatments. BEFORE anyone says Microsoft Word, :rolleyes: I mean something that has features and tools that are again, geared to help a screenwriter build the treatment and perhaps work with Final Draft or other script writing software. Anyone know of anything? B)

Hi James, try the following http://www.sophocles.net/features.asp I downloaded some sriptwriting software from them.

It seems adequate however the reason that I found your message is because I am interested in writing a documentary and was looking for some software. I was going to purchase some as all that I could find was old and I thought I could purchase something better. What do you think of final draft? Is it worth the $250 to buy something like this?

Good luck

Final Draft is the industry standard. I think it's terrific, BUT being a cheap bastard, I didn't pay retail for it. I got the generation prior to the newest one (I can't remember the number right now, 6 I think). It does everything I need it to do. I mean script form hasn't changed in many years, so whadya need all the bells and whistles for? I thinks I paid like $50 bucks for it at the time something like that on ebay. It has spell-check, puts it in proper format remembers the characters names, what more do you need? If it were to make up script supervisor specific versions on storyboard versions then it might be worth getting a newer version but I don't see me laying out a lotta cash for basically nothing. I kinda feel the same way about animation software as well, after Lightwave 5.6, it starts becoming all flash. B) Thanks for the link BTW, this is SOOO cool!! :D

Edited by James Steven Beverly