SCRIPT

Guest Robert G Andrews

No it doesn't, but it's easy enough to create a PDF using a third party tool like CutePDF (also open source)

Actually Celtx does output PDFs natively.

I use Celtx exclusively and it saves me so much time. It also seems less buggy and more intuitive than Final Draft.

While the cost (free celtx vs. $229 final draft) is a factor for someone on a budget, I use Celtx because I think it's a better piece of software than Final Draft.

Edited by Alex Plank

For serious script creation you need a script program. Yes you can use MS Word (yuch) or even a typewriter. What's so hard about using a typewriter as well.

Script programs have much more to offer than just formatting. Breakdown, cast list, resource list, many of the things you need to budget and time your script.

These things have been invaluable to our production.

If using a typewriter, which I haven't done for more than 20 years, it just means you are using your own brain for everything instead of software. What is so hard about using your brain as well to write a script? I'm a professional writer and I have used every program mentioned on this topic except for Movie Magic, and there is nothing and I mean literally nothing that any of them can do that cannot be easily and intuitively set up in MS Word including, now, save to PDF, which just became possible for me a few days ago with the automatic update for this I received from Microsoft for my Windows Vista Ultimate OS. I do recommend all of these programs because they are in fact quite useful, however none of them are really anything more than word processors. If you need a WP use what you have. How hard is that?

I do recommend all of these programs because they are in fact quite useful, however none of them are really anything more than word processors. If you need a WP use what you have. How hard is that?

Reminds me of a scriptwriter who told me before they had a script programs on computers, she used to give the characters short names to reduce the amount of typing.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

• 1 month later...
Actually Celtx does output PDFs natively.

I use Celtx exclusively and it saves me so much time. It also seems less buggy and more intuitive than Final Draft.

While the cost (free celtx vs. $229 final draft) is a factor for someone on a budget, I use Celtx because I think it's a better piece of software than Final Draft.

Celtx all the way! And it is free. As it has been said before, it does output PDFs. I am very happy with it. I've been using it since it's beta version now in the full release version and it is very smooth.

Goodbye Final draft.

I'll cast my vote for Celtx as well. It's open source, absolutely free, allows collaboration online, publishing of scripts online, automatically formats to different script forms, AND...

It's a full-functioned asset management system. It allows you to tag scripts by parts: actors, locations, props, etc. These entries area databased and you can pull them up, add photos, notes, etc (or your production team can from their own computers) and print detailed reports.

It's definitely worth downloading and trying out.

• Premium Member
I have just completed a manuscript, a great story, and wanted to make it into a script. What SCRIPT SOFTWARE would you recommend? Ideally, the most popular software that is used.

Movie Magic.

It keeps track of characters, scenes and a whole host of other things. A fun feature is that it'll read your script back to you.

• 1 month later...
Movie Magic.

It keeps track of characters, scenes and a whole host of other things. A fun feature is that it'll read your script back to you.

I put my vote in for Celtx. Like movie magic it keeps track o characters (with whole breakdowns for them), scenes (with storyboards) and a million other features. If you export in PDF you can have Adobe Reader read out loud to you.

• Premium Member

People can say us MS word all they want -- but the truth is -- it's hard enough to write. for a couple bucks, you can make the process a lot more intuitive and fast with a scriptwriting program. I don't need the bells and whistles of FD, but it's a lot easier for me to write with FD than it is with MS word. just my opinion, backed with a lot of time in front of a blinking cursor.

• Premium Member
If using a typewriter, which I haven't done for more than 20 years, it just means you are using your own brain for everything instead of software. What is so hard about using your brain as well to write a script?

I was scrolling through this thread waiting for a post like this. The majority of films that were ever made were written on a typewriter. What ever happened to that? And all the little hand-written notes to go along with it...?