Best SLR Mount.

Matthew Buick

Even if there was an anamorphic lens made in Nikon mount, no still camera is going to have an anamorphic "unsqueeze" viewfinder (again, a cinema thing). There's only so much you can expect from a stills camera to replicate motion picture shooting, and anamorphic isn't part of it...

An "unsqueeze" viewfinder is not an absolute necessity. One can quickly get used to viewing a squeezed image. Framing is based on proportions. Such as the rule of thirds. Something placed a 1/3 of the way across a squeezed picture, will still be a 1/3 of the way across when unsqeezed.

There's an old anamorphic lens that came in nikon F mount, the ISCORAMA.

There's no way to unsqueeze the viewfinder and takes some practise to use (focusing is a real pain).

The Iscoramas are attachments and came in various sizes. They they can be screwed on to various lenses.

The first model which came with a Nikon mount lens is, I think, the same as the Iscorama-36.

The backing lens that came with it was a triplet. The triplet is the culprit for lack of sharpness and contrast.

• Premium Member
The Iscoramas are attachments and came in various sizes. They they can be screwed on to various lenses.

The first model which came with a Nikon mount lens is, I think, the same as the Iscorama-36.

The backing lens that came with it was a triplet. The triplet is the culprit for lack of sharpness and contrast.

Was there an "unsqueeze" anamorphic slide projector lens to view the images? Did the Iscorama attach to your slide projector lens?

I can't imagine a lab printing anamorphic "paper" prints, but I guess it wouldn't be that hard if you wanted to.

The whole anamorphic still thing doesn't make sense to me. If you want a different aspect ratio in stills you use a different format camera

Cheers,

Marc

Most all SLRs in the last twenty years or so have decent mounts. Nikon seems to have held the cross-over-to-cinema mount dominance for thirty to forty years. Nikon lenses are still quite obtainable used. They dumped their new lens manufacturing around a year ago. Leica is making new lenses in a Nikon mount, though.

Hi Paul,

Are you sure that Leica is making lenses in Nikon mount? Haven't seen anything on them yet. I do know that Zeiss with Cosina is offering a line of lenses in Nikon mount.

Chuck

Was there an "unsqueeze" anamorphic slide projector lens to view the images? Did the Iscorama attach to your slide projector lens?

I can't imagine a lab printing anamorphic "paper" prints, but I guess it wouldn't be that hard if you wanted to.

The whole anamorphic still thing doesn't make sense to me. If you want a different aspect ratio in stills you use a different format camera

You screwed the Iscorama off the slide projector and onto the projector lens.

The Iscorama-54 had a bracket for use with slide projector.

This is the same that one did with 8mm and 16mm home movie anamorphics.

It was intended mainly for slides. There was an enlarging lens, or at least a USPatent. It used a rather thick dioptre.

Are you sure that Leica is making lenses in Nikon mount? Haven't seen anything on them yet. I do know that Zeiss with Cosina is offering a line of lenses in Nikon mount.

I'll second that it's Zeiss/Cosina.

Hit SLR lenses:

http://www.zeiss.com/photo

Whoa! Also in both Pentax mounts.

Which way does the focus ring turn?

• Premium Member
You screwed the Iscorama off the slide projector and onto the projector lens.

The Iscorama-54 had a bracket for use with slide projector.

This is the same that one did with 8mm and 16mm home movie anamorphics.

It was intended mainly for slides. There was an enlarging lens, or at least a USPatent. It used a rather thick dioptre.

That makes sense. Thank you for replying.

I'm working on my own version

• Premium Member
Hi Paul,

Chuck

You're right. I goofed the reference on that one. Here's a relevant thread: http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...=11372&st=0

As well: http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1...;productNr=1435

We all thought Nikon was a goner with F-mount, MF lenses. It seems they are still offering them under circumstances.