Some super 8 shorts on-line

Rick Palidwor

Some of my super 8 shorts are available on-line at:

http://exposure.cbc.ca/user/friendly-fire

There are 13 shorts in total. Puta, the Door, Kettle On, 40 Winks of Fury, Taste Test, Feet First, Handsurdity and Hi Lights were shot on super 8. The others are 16mm (Brickenstocks is analogue video).

These were uploaded as part of a competition. I didn't win anything but Good Night was aired nationally.

Rick

Some of my super 8 shorts are available on-line at:

http://exposure.cbc.ca/user/friendly-fire

There are 13 shorts in total. Puta, the Door, Kettle On, 40 Winks of Fury, Taste Test, Feet First, Handsurdity and Hi Lights were shot on super 8. The others are 16mm (Brickenstocks is analogue video).

These were uploaded as part of a competition. I didn't win anything but Good Night was aired nationally.

Rick

Hello Rick,

Wow! Nicely done. The CBC has a really nice site to show off these films.

Rick, I have a question about PUTA. I assume that was shot in Super-Duper 8, but it looks much wider than SLEEP ALWAYS. To my eye it looks like it's just over a 2:1 aspect ratio. Was that shot with a different camera than SLEEP ALWAYS? I noticed in some shots you could see the sprocket holes and others you could not.

Great video by the way, very well shot (the music was not my taste).

Mike

Rick, I have a question about PUTA. I assume that was shot in Super-Duper 8, but it looks much wider than SLEEP ALWAYS. To my eye it looks like it's just over a 2:1 aspect ratio. Was that shot with a different camera than SLEEP ALWAYS? I noticed in some shots you could see the sprocket holes and others you could not.

Mike

To be honest, I don't remember the details as I did this some years ago. However, I'm sure I left the sprocket holes in the band shot on purpose, as a creative decision. You can actually see a sliver of light on the right-hand side: not visible on a conventional TV but suddenly visible on a computer screen. In retrospect we should have tightened it up a little as I'd prefer the sliver was not there. But the sprocket hole is fine: pushing the film origin to the forefront.

It's a little wider than 1.85. It's not related to the camera, it was the set-up during telecine. The two main shots were shot on different days, so the light doesn't match. Oh well.

Music isn't my taste either, but they are friends and they paid me. I made 9 videos for them, and always take a rough and tumble approach (e.g. visible sprocket hole). On one of the videos it was shot super-duper 8 but I did not mask it at all so you see the frame lines at the top and bottom with slivers of the adjacent frames. It makes people notice. I also shot one on a pixel vision camera with dirty heads, so it was rougher than normal pixel vision, so I pressed "forward-search" as I was capturing into the computer, completely wacking the pixels and frames. Great fun.

Rick