Will ARRI 3 mags work on the ARRI 2C

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

Absolutely not, it'll ruin your camera. Ok, full disclosure time - I've bought several 400' (actually 480') Arri III mags off eBay for my 2B for less than the older mags often go for. The only reason I can think of is people see the "racetrack" pattern on the door and think those mags are different than their Arri II mags.

Tim,

The newer mags will work on the older cameras. Based on personal experience, you can use the 435 400ft mags on the 35-III. The 435 400ft mag would fit on your 2-A,B & C if it wasn't for the neck strap ?eyelet? immediately behind the magazine opening.

I've used 200ft and 400ft 2-A & B mags (belt take-up) on 35-III and 435.

For 200 ft & 400ft 2-A & B mags that have the belt take-up, run no more than 60 - 90fps (depends on the condition of the belt - test) on the 35-III and the 435. The belt mags were designed for cameras that ran no faster than 50fps forward only. Once, in a pinch, I did shoot with my 400ft 2A mag at 120 fps on a 35-III that had a gentle ramp up to speed, it worked successfully, the exposed footeage was nice and tight on the take-up. Again it depends on the condition of the mag and the cloth belt.

The 400ft ?geared? magazine came about when Arri introduced the 2C and the 80fps 2C.

The 400ft 2C/35-III mags with the geared forward/reverse design, you can run them up to 130 fps on 35-III (version 3 in the 35-III line) and 435. On the 435, you will not be able to program the camera to run past 130fps with the "black" colored mags. These can be modified by PS Tech to go to 150fps, then painted grey.

These 35-III 400ft geared mags will work on a 2-A & B. I have a 2-A with the 2-B movement from the factory. The mags work great.

• 2 weeks later...
Tim,

The newer mags will work on the older cameras. Based on personal experience, you can use the 435 400ft mags on the 35-III. The 435 400ft mag would fit on your 2-A,B & C if it wasn't for the neck strap ?eyelet? immediately behind the magazine opening.

I've used 200ft and 400ft 2-A & B mags (belt take-up) on 35-III and 435.

For 200 ft & 400ft 2-A & B mags that have the belt take-up, run no more than 60 - 90fps (depends on the condition of the belt - test) on the 35-III and the 435. The belt mags were designed for cameras that ran no faster than 50fps forward only. Once, in a pinch, I did shoot with my 400ft 2A mag at 120 fps on a 35-III that had a gentle ramp up to speed, it worked successfully, the exposed footeage was nice and tight on the take-up. Again it depends on the condition of the mag and the cloth belt.

The 400ft ?geared? magazine came about when Arri introduced the 2C and the 80fps 2C.

The 400ft 2C/35-III mags with the geared forward/reverse design, you can run them up to 130 fps on 35-III (version 3 in the 35-III line) and 435. On the 435, you will not be able to program the camera to run past 130fps with the "black" colored mags. These can be modified by PS Tech to go to 150fps, then painted grey.

These 35-III 400ft geared mags will work on a 2-A & B. I have a 2-A with the 2-B movement from the factory. The mags work great.

I agree, I have an SL Cine for Steadicam and I use the Arri 35 Slant mags, I have 400 and 200 ft version, I also use the 100 ft traditional Arri diplacement mags for small spaces on it, and I haven't had a problem yet.

I agree, I have an SL Cine for Steadicam and I use the Arri 35 Slant mags, I have 400 and 200 ft version, I also use the 100 ft traditional Arri diplacement mags for small spaces on it, and I haven't had a problem yet.

Adam,

Tim Carroll and I were having a discussion about the 200ft mags with the cloth take-up belt and checking / adjusting the take-up tension. Do you use the Arri gauge to check the tension? If so, what number do you get on the scale. I've had my 200 footers come in around 5, but I've not seen any printed info as to what it should be. Any idea as to what it should be? Have you had to replace belts?

Charlie

• Premium Member
Adam,

Tim Carroll and I were having a discussion about the 200ft mags with the cloth take-up belt and checking / adjusting the take-up tension. Do you use the Arri gauge to check the tension? If so, what number do you get on the scale. I've had my 200 footers come in around 5, but I've not seen any printed info as to what it should be. Any idea as to what it should be? Have you had to replace belts?

Charlie

Charlie,

Your 200 footers are coming in around 5? Wow, the one I have is coming in around 1.5. The gauge I have says the Arriflex 235 mags, the 200 footers, should come in at 4, but I can't find any information on the Arriflex 3, or Arriflex 2C 200 footers. Even after rebuilding my mag, it is still way too low. I've redone the spring to make it tighter, and cleaned the belt and both pulleys. That brought it from 0 to 1.5, but I guess I still have a ways to go.

-Tim