Adjusting Shutter on Arri SR

Hi,

I'm using an Arri SRII and, whenever I "cut" the camera, the shutter/mirror stops in a position that "blocks" the reflection. In other words, I have to manually inch the shutter forward about 180 degrees to see through the lens. Any idea how to adjust that? Is it even possible?

J. Soren Viuf

...I have to manually inch the shutter forward about 180 degrees to see through the lens. Any idea how to adjust that?

By manually, do you mean you're having to remove the lens and inch it with your finger? I would think using the test button would clear it for you.

Never had this issue with an SR before though, only with the S. Hopefully it's just a problem with the camera's stopping :/

Yes, to conclude the suspense that you all were no doutb living through, I did check out the camera in more detail, and I investigated the timing of the shutter in relation to the registration pin/pulldown claw mechanism (using the inching knob to visually examine), and it seemed to be in perfect sync. Needless to say, I was still a bit worried, because it obviously needs perfect precision. Anyways, the tests I ran quelled my fears.

Thank you to all who gave advice!

J Soren Viuf

Doug Hart's book goes over this in detail, but the easiest way to do a phase test is to get some junk film and draw a highly wavy line on about a foot or so. Load the magazine with this and make certain that the line section will be going through the gate. Then, without a lens on, slowly inch the shutter by hand. You shouldn't see any line movement at any point during the shutter being open. Doing extensive tests with POMs and strobes is a surefire way to check for even minor problems, but in the field the wavy line is the best way to discover larger phase problems.