Cameras! I'm so confused!

I'm a young film maker and i want to start building my portfolios with shorts. I was thinking about getting a 16mm film camera like the K-3 but it seems it's to hard to record sound with those noisey buggers. My budget is ubout $300 at most. I hate the look of Mini DV. What should i do!?

Resign yourself to MiniDV for the time being.

If your max budget is $300 that might get you a camera, but film isn't cheap. $300 isn't going to get you a great MiniDV cam either, but at least you won't break yourself making your shorts.

The other option is to go 8mm, which is a good option; but won't be incredibly cheap either.

I personally prefer the look and latitude of film, but as beginning filmmakers we have to embrace and be happy about the inexpensive options available to us today. With a consumer camera and software that comes with any computer we have a basic setup and editing suite. And there's a lot you can do to make MiniDV look good. Remember, it's what you shoot and how you shoot it that really matters - not what it's shot on. And if you can hone your skills to the point where you can make consumer DV look good then you've got something to build on.

No. I can maybe sqweeze it to $500 but thats pushing it. This guy will sell me all this stuff for $300:

"I have a krag 3 16mm motion picture camera for sale.

given an overhaul by a professional film/video company in new york, it includes

filter kit with a variety of special effects filters. also has shoulder stock for ergonomic filming, and a variety of other accessories that came with the camera. it does come with seven rolls of motion picture daylight film. LET'S NEGOTIATE A PRICE! the arrangements for purchase will be person to person, giving the buyer a chance to see the camera up close and personal. moreover a demo of the camera will be given; it does have a manual. Buyer will receive a Filmmaker's Book Collection including the Filmmaker's Handbook-probably the single greatest source for beginning and intermediate filmmakers. I will also throw in a super 8 Film editor complete with a roll of Super 8 Film containing footage of animals living in the wild. A great value, including: A filter kit,unexposed kodak and fuji 16mm film, and the collection of Film production books.

I'm seling the camera and film accessories because I've decided to focus my time and creative energies on music, writing, and art."

Found it on Craigs list!

Spectra 400' 16mm package

400' Package

400' 16mm Film (11 min)

Processing

Prep & Clean

1/2 hour RANK Transfer @ 24fps

Mini DV or Beta SP Tape

Cost: $385.50

Discount: $26.50

Final Cost: $359.00

90$ per roll, but still not cheap...

James,

You do understand that every 2:30 of 16mm film you shoot is going to cost you roughly $150 don't you? Super 8 is not much cheaper

Come up with a good story first. Find some decent actors/performers to work with. Shoot said story (on MiniDV) outside to save on lighting. Edit, put on YouTube, let everybody know about it. Rinse, repeat.

If you're any good and willing to work at it you'll develop your network, and probably run into somebody with a 16mm camera to shoot a later project.