Mark Lee Ping Bing

anthony le grand

Hi everyone,

I'm a huge admirator of HHH and his cinematographer, Mark Lee Ping Bing but i'm wondering how they can have these gorgeous and deep colours cause i have never seen that before. Perhaps the style of Chris Doyle is not so far but i've never seen colours as beautiful as in "Three Times" "Flowers of Shangai"or "Millenium Mambo". Do you know how Mark Lee does? Is it mainly during the shooting? I thougt that but the ext scenes seems to be shoot with a natural light and the colours are as beautiful.

Does he use a particular process or do anything special with the film? I think the work with the colorist must be extremely important too...

Thanks (and sorry for my english)

Anthony

Hi everyone,

I'm a huge admirer of HHH and his cinematographer, Mark Lee Ping Bing but i'm wondering how they can have these gorgeous and deep colours cause i have never seen that before. Perhaps the style of Chris Doyle is not so far but i've never seen colours as beautiful as in "Three Times" "Flowers of Shanghai"or "Millenium Mambo". Do you know how Mark Lee does? Is it mainly during the shooting? I thought that but the ext scenes seems to be shoot with a natural light and the colours are as beautiful.

Does he use a particular process or do anything special with the film? I think the work with the colorist must be extremely important too...

Thanks (and sorry for my english)

Anthony

I recently was turned on to his work, and I totally worship the guy already. Millennium Mambo really kind of shocked me. Mark Lee Ping-bin managed to shoot an incredibly gorgeous picture on what was clearly a micro budget. The camera lived on sticks and basically they just let the take play out for minutes and minutes on end, panning between rooms, which would leave the audience only a partial framing of the characters, ala Wong Kar Wai. I recently mailed the Mambo DVD to Mullen (who hadn't seen it yet), so I am really looking forward to his take on it. Flowers of Shanghai was also beautifully photographed and lit, and I really appreciated and admire HHH's use of a handful of extremely long takes to comprise the entire picture, each one being bookended by a long dissolve out/dissolve in. The movie is slow, but very artistic. Lee Ping-bin just shot a French picture. I am hoping he will shoot a couple of American pictures in the future. I'd love to see him work with some of our top directors over here, if he has such an interest.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, he just shot a film in France for Hou Hsiao Hsien called "Le ballon Rouge" and it looks very beautiful and delicate. I really admire how Ping Bing brings emotion only with colors, there is not a lot of cinematographers who can do that with such a great impact.

Have a look to "Three Times" too (again directed by HHH), it's impressive how he used the colors according to different times. And I think it's one of the best film of HHH, a wonderful allegory about love.

yeah, he just shot a film in France for Hou Hsiao Hsien called "Le ballon Rouge" and it looks very beautiful and delicate. I really admire how Ping Bing brings emotion only with colors, there is not a lot of cinematographers who can do that with such a great impact.

Have a look to "Three Times" too (again directed by HHH), it's impressive how he used the colors according to different times. And I think it's one of the best film of HHH, a wonderful allegory about love.

Yeah, Three Times is actually #1 in my netflix queue right now. I'm very excited to see it. I wonder why Wong Kar Wai did not use him for My Blueberry Nights? Who knows...

• 3 weeks later...

Production design and practicals (fluorescents!) much more than timing, but I admire his naturalistic work more than the stylized stuff. Particularly his first films with Hou Hsiao-Hsien and Cafe Lumiere... although if you have the chance, see Millenium Mambo projected, the blacklight stuff and a lot the blues look very very nice compared to the DVD I have.

and HHH said that they used plastics on the lights for Millenium Mambo to have this particular look. But even in this film, I think that it's quiet naturalistic in a way cause the lights he used are generaly part of the location and the decoration. It reminds me how Kubrick used lights in that way even if the work is different.

Café Lumière is really beautiful as well as all the firts HHH's film. But is there of film of this director which is not gorgeous, I mean not only aesthetically but simply by what he tells? I think almost all of them are masterpieces

• 3 weeks later...