film-connection

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Frank Gossimier

No offense Average Joe but didn't Career Connection look like an obvious scam?

When I first saw it on the web I laughed out loud it was such an obvious scam.

I even phoned them and got that Jimmy idiot to call me. Boy was he ticked when he knew I was on to him. He just hung up.

Their only question to me was, "How will you be paying." If that doesn't set off alarm bells in some ones head nothing will.

I'm sorry you lost the 5K. Face it the money is gone forever.

People should learn to stick with traditional film programs from recognized and established institutions. There are no short cuts. Even Full Sail is often referred to as Full Scam.

If you want quick training then the best option is the summer courses at USC film school.

Frank

• 2 months later...

My experience with Film-connection was good. I signed up in New York City originally -- within 10 days or so I got my books, and three days after that I was working on film sets in the Camera Dept. Then I decided to move out to LA when my wife got a job out here, I called up Jimi Petulla and he transferred my education out to L.A. -- I got a new mentor and I was working on film sets in the camera dept. within two weeks. In the program I worked with a bunch of different camera depts. on smaller budgeted and major budgeted movies. They really worked for me and put me in contat with about 60 different cinematographers. Now I'm working as a 2nd AC for pay, and I just shot my first short as a DP.

I didn't have any negative experience with them. The reality for me is that this program gets you the contacts while you're learning, where as regular film school teaches you but when you get out you have no contacts.

Just one man's opinion.

Bart

You're lucky.

Your story is the first and ONLY positive experience I've heard about Film-connection.

They have a long list of very angry people behind them.

Richard

• Premium Member

Hi,

I suspect we're being lied to here. Mr. "Primus'" post has so many of the attributes of advertising copy that I'm surprised that whoever wrote it didn't notice!

Repeated phrasology within the text, repetition of wording used in other promotional material, memetic reinforcement, unqualified support, appeal to idealism, etc.

Care to mention a few places you've worked, "Bart"?

Phil

Hmmmmm interesting theory Phil.

Of course some one would have to be very smart to write some thing that meets these qualifications....

"Repeated phrasology within the text, repetition of wording used in other promotional material, memetic reinforcement, unqualified support, appeal to idealism, etc."

First I have to figure what they all mean/are????? :blink:

Would Jimmy Petula be that diabolical?

Richard.

Edited by Guest

No guys, I'm real. Just playng around in these forums and saw "film-connection" so I registered to offer a positive opinion for a program that worked for me.

Anyway, whatever, blah blah blah. My experience with them was a positive one. It's not brain surgery, they say they are gonna get you out on film sets and for me atleast they did. A bunch.

Who did film connection hook me up with:

Verizon Wireless comm. (camere dept.)

Minnie's First Time (camera dept. -- this is an Alec Baldwin film)

Ludacris music video directed by Spike Jonze (grip dept. -- cos' I wanted the exp. in different dept.

Deathride (a low budget horror movie directed by a famous Japaneese director named Suzuki)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (this was when I was in NYC, before I transfered to L.A.)

True Religion jeans comm.

etc. etc.

What can I say? They told me I was gonna get on film sets and they put me there. For me it worked cos' it was 5,000 as opposed to 100,000 for NYU or USC -- I learned what I needed to know, but I worked hard. They opened the doors, I walked through and kicked ass. Made connections. My mentor knows a lot of people and he introduced to me to everyone he knew. You're paying to get in the door and learn hands on. Which is cool, my buddy just graduated from NYU and he's now a PA on sets. I'm actually ahead of him minus the 95,000 tab. Honestly, he even admits he doesn't know more than me, and I'm already a 1st and a 2nd AC and getting paid.

peace

bp

As far as a long list of unhappy Film-connection students, i have an even longer list of unhappy students from AFI or LAFilm, or UCLA, etc.

A friend of mine, his name is Rhett Bear -- a working DP (check out his website if you don't believe me rhettbear.com) who went to Pasadena Art Center told me everything he learned at traditional film school that he uses on the job he could have learned on the job for a lot less money.

If this Film-connection gets you on the job and helps you make all those connections like Bart says then it sounds like a program at least worth checking into.

The truth is most people fail and are bitter about it. But that doesn't necessarily have to do with the programs. The film world is filled with misanthropes, failures, naysayers, n'er do wells, and unhappy misfits. Lets face it people, most humans enjoy failing then pointing the finger. Film programs work if the person is willing make it work for him. I've read all your posts, I'm gonna check this Film-Connection out atleast.

Carey Tonkins

Carey,

Give them a call. Do you find it odd that they keep asking you, "How will you be paying?" "Will you pay the entire $5000.00 plus up front?"

There are other posts on the forum where people got ripped off by these snakes and are looking for other Film Connection people to join in a class action law suit.

There are a number of highly questionable Google ads on this site for "rip off" film schools.

At least with UCLA or NYU, USC, etc, you walk away with a degree. Which will be useful when you are no longer working in the film industry. Which is what happens to the bulk of film school grads, that is true.

Richard

• Premium Member

This is an interesting situation.

I gather that the owner(s) of cinematography.com are raising revenue by enrolling in an advertising program run by Google and that they have thereby relinquished any control over a good deal of the advertising that appears on the site.

One of the advertisers is something called "Career Connection" (referred to in this post as "film connection"). Career Conection apparently runs an "apprenticeship" program for people interested in film, television, radio or music production under which the "apprentice" pays US$6,000. Apparently, the fee is split between Career Connection and the "mentor".

The Career Connection site contains material from reputable sources that the company says endorses its program. This includes an article from Newsweek that in fact says nothing about Career Connection. There is also an "article" from Billboard. This "article" is not an article at all, but an advertisement, sometimes known as an advertorial. There is also a letter from Hugh Downs of 20/20 fame. In this letter, Mr. Downs acknowledges receipt of a letter from the owner of Career Connections and says that he does indeed remember going hunting with his grandfather 50 years ago. There is also a link which is supposed to take one to a video clip endorsement from George Lucas, but I, at least, was unable to get the link to work. There are indeed some positive letters from various people who have used Career Connection "apprentices", except that one must realize that these come from people who have been paid to take these people on. One of the letters talks about how good the "apprentice" was at picking up a celebrity at the airport.

What is most disturbing is that Career Connection promotional material is heavily geared to selling the idea that higher education is a complete and utter waste of time. Much of their website content constitutes some of the most anti-intellectual drivel that I have seen in a long time.

Personally, I would rather pay a subscription fee for cinematography.com, or make a donation, than see the site used this way. At the very least, I'd like to suggest that the owner(s)/moderator(s) distance themselves from advertising over which they apparently have no control. It is very easy for a young, impressionable person to conclude that the undoubted quality of this site says something about the quality of the advertisers. At the same time, it seems to me that the existence of questionable advertising can do nothing but raise questions about all of the ads, including those by companies that are legitimate sponsors.

Edited by R. Edge

• Premium Member

Since writing the above, I managed to get the George Lucas clip to run on a different computer. Like the Newsweek article, the clip says nothing whatever about Career Connection. Of course, that doesn't matter. The whole point is to associate Newsweek, Billboard, Hugh Downs and George Lucas with the product, however unrelated.

One of the interesting things about this company is the letter from the president. He says that the demand for qualified personnel in the film and television industries exceeds the supply. This is patent nonsense, and great news for prospective clients of Career Connection, but of course it raises a basic question. Why would someone pay Career Connections a wack of money to get a foot in the door? Turns out that the answer is simple. You've got a multitude of people who want into this demand-driven business, but most of them don't know nothing except book learnin', and what the industry wants is people who have experience - such as the experience that a kid with a high school education can get by paying Career Connection US$6,000 to act as a broker, and to piece off the employer, in getting him or her a job working as an unpaid cab driver for celebrities.

I'm relatively new to this site, and I don't mean to be smart, but it really does bother me that cinematography.com allows companies like this to use this site to bolster their own legitimacy. To be blunt, I really don't think that David Mullen would take cash from Career Connection to take on some kid who is naive or desperate enough to give the company $6,000, and Mullen whatever his percentage would be. Maybe I'm naive, but I would actually like to believe that no legitimate person in the film industry would co-operate in this.

An earlier poster suggested that some people are talking about a class action suit against Career Connections. Well, it won't happen. Class action suits are launched against companies with assets. It is pretty much a certainty that this company doesn't have any.

Edited by R. Edge

"There is also a link which is supposed to take one to a video clip endorsement from George Lucas"

I watched this clip on their site, it is the biggest JOKE on the planet. Lucas says absolutely nothing about Career Connection, he talks only about mentoring education vs school based education. I suppose this is the weak tie in Jimi Petula is trying to make.

I'm sure that they are using this clip with out Lucas' permission. If GL knew this clip was on their web site, I'm sure his lawyers would demand that it be removed.

Unfortunately the sharks at Career Connection are going to bite some more people before they finally get shut down. They are no different than all of those "pay up front" modelling schools out there.

Richard

HI,

Just want to say that film-connection probably differs based on personal experience. As for myself, I had an ok experience, though I didn't have the means to pay. I did go through the interview process. I went to a couple companies most of which I did not like, but one based in Santa Monica I did like, he said he would teahc me anything I wanted to know, and come there as often as I like, and put me on as a pa aswell for pay, until there was an opening somehwre. He was really nice and helpful, where as most of the other companies said I might not have one on one time with the camera op (wanted to learn camera operation), that I would just be treated as an intern liek everyone else. I wasnt going to pay thousands of dollars for that!

Anyways, i was all set up to go with the one guy, but just din't have the cash, so the Jim dude gave me back my 350 and I was on about my buissness.

I am sure that many people probably had bad experiences, and probably many had good experiences, just like anything else. It really is a good "idea" if it works for YOU. I'll probably do it when I get the cash,cause I see no way for me personally to get to do what I have dreamed of almost all my life.

I wish I could skip the whole thing and just pay some honest professional directly to teach me the ropes and hook me up with contacts ect, but I don't even know one who I could ask.

I rather die then not do what I love. I'd die right now if I knew the future and it didn't have me work in this field.

BTW, nice to meet you all.

ps. about google ads, the owners of this site have zero control over what is advertised. The whole google advertisement issue is really hot now because of this, and because of the questionable material within those ads at times.

Edited by wade wilson

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I spoke with one of there guys on the phone today and he didn't once ask about how I was going to pay and the conversation was really informative about the program.

I asked him about payment and he said you don't pay anything untill you and your mentor have both agreed to work together, then you pay them the fees. Im kind of skeptical about the film-connection but if your in a good area of production like LA or NY then I think it might be worth giving it a shot.

haha thanks for the video Richard. but I tried googling around and this site was the only one with any sort of feedback that came up so if theres negative or positive stuff you heard about it can you provide links to forums etc.. or did you go through the program yourself?

Im not sayin I want to go to it yet but just doing some research before I make a final decision on a yay or nah.

On this particular topic although not including Film Connection. How do you guys feel about IFP networks? Im considering it its a 60 member fee that gets word on all movies happening in your area. (As you see Im in Chicago) and more films are shooting here nowadays. Would you guys recommend it?

Carlos

• 1 month later...

Let me first say I wish this company would get shut down so no one else would get screwed over like I did. I was stupid, I should of known it was a scam. I was told I could pay the money over the course of the program or pay 2000 less and pay up front, so I payed the 5000 up front. I talked with Jimmy the head guy, I told him I wanted to work on a film. A couple days later he told me he had found me a mentor for a movie production company. I had my interview and was told that I could get a job as a INTERN not a apprenticeship like I was told from film connection. To make matters worse I ask the guy that I'm getting the interview from if they do movies and he says they are strictly a TV production company. So I suck it up and take the job there because I can't get ahold of anyone with the film connection company now that they have my money. I worked as an intern on the show until it got cut a couple weeks later. I didn't get a chance to make any contacts because I had no clue what I was doing and no one was willing to help me. OK, so when I signed up for the program the contract stated you are supposed to get 7 years job placement. 4 months later I finally get ahold of Jimmy after threatening phone calls, letters, emails, faxed letters. They Finlay get me another INTERNSHIP with a small production company in studio city. I told them I could edit, (I obviously couldn't, seeing as I hadn't really learned anything yet.) I didn't now if I would get another chance at another company, so I lied. I had no clue how to edit, I had to go to the editor and ask him tons of questions luckily he was a really nice guy. After a lot of teaching myself to edit, and asking a lot of questions I got the hang of it. THERE WAS NO MENTOR! Please go to craiglist, realitystaff.com, but don't waste your money on this guy. And whoever said these people (Meaning people like me that got screwed over.) are just bitter because they are failures (In a earlier post) I'm actually editing and Producing now. This company promised so many things, I certainly did not have a mentor like the company states. It's not just me either,  One of the jobs I worked on recently I came to find out a guy I worked with also went through them and he had the same experience. Please don't waste your money they are a SCAM!!!!!! and should be shut down. I don't know how Jimmy Petula sleeps at night, anyone affiliated with this program should be in jail.

(I called today for fun and talked to one lady she said it's only 3 years job placement now, Called again talked to another and she said it's only 1 year, just to let you know how screwed up this company is).

• 2 weeks later...

I did alittle investigating myself. Sean Chou who on their website is claimed to have 2nd ADed on PoolHall Junkies as his first job given to him by film-connections is actually named Shaun Chou (according to imdb) but actually was the assistant to director, big difference, and im sure film-connection new the difference.

• 11 months later...
Guest Jason Katz

Film Connection is not a scam. No offense but everyone posting here sounds real negative.

I went to Film Connection so I can tell you it was not a scam. I studied cinematography with a DP named Andrew Shulkind. Here's how the program worked for me

I met with Andy twice a week. He privately taught me in cinematography showing me camera, lighting, lenses and filters in his studio. Then when he got on jobs, I was his P.A., we met everyday for 6 months, when Andy worked he brought me on shows with him. It was way cool.

Andrew is a great up and coming DP and now I am working in the camera dept. because of him. I'm also working on my reel as a DP. Film Connection is not a perfect program but it is 100x better than any cinematography program that I have seen. It's only 7,500 grand total and you get to learn from a professional instead of a teacher in a classroom.

to put things in perspective my best friend went to LA Film, here's what he got:

115 thousand dollars worth of debt. Yep, that's right, 35 grand to go there, 35 grand to live on, plus interest so he pays 480.0 per month until he's 50 years old (25 years) and he's right now working as a telemarketer for AT and T (in other words he's not in the film business).

I paid 7500 hundred and I learned cinematography and am now making my living in the film business as a Camera PA and 2nd. Plus Andy and I are still in contact so if I have questions or need help he's cool to help.

If anyone has any other questions about this program feel free to email me.

nomorefear@hotmail.com

Guest Moe Hawke

I'm a producer, director, writer, editor and as such have had numerous occasions to hire crew and staff. Pretty much the one constant rule I had was to never take anyone who'd gone to a film school--there was just too much stuff they had to unlearn before they were useful.

I also know that I got to become a producer, director, writer and editor because first of all I had learned from the ground up as a grip, gopher, gaffer, floor director and second of all because I had the drive and was willing to work 100 hour weeks.

I've read over numerous posts and it seems that the "George Lucas" clip was a big sticking point with some....I don't see anywhere on the site where it says "George Lucas endorses film-connection"...what he is endorsing is the mentor/apprentice method of learning a craft. In this George is right, there is no better way to learn the biz than by being taught by someone in the biz, working on a real project in the real world.

My guess is that the majority of sour grapes are coming from people who will never succeed unless daddy buys them a job. Life is what you make of it. It's easier to make it when you are working/interning/apprenticing on the inside than it is knocking on doors from the outside.

I can't say the film connection is perfect, but I do know that I would rather pay $7500 and get actual experience on real productions than be indebted to a "real film school" for over $100,000 and be saddled with a bunch of wrong knowledge that I'd have to unlearn before I would be of use to anyone.