(Advice needed) best fluid Tripod for 2k

Kyle Fasanella

Hey guys,

I am going to spend the last of my life?s saving on a tripod and I want to make sure I buy the right product. Currently I am looking at a Sachtler tripod with DV-6SB Head and aluminum or carbon fiber tripod legs. Seems both are the same weight but the carbon fiber is tougher and sometime I am ruff on my Tripods. I must be able

1. hold up 20 LB

2. Be smooth enough to work on film and with steadicam footage.

I am looking at

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3824...rbon_Fiber.html

Also I would not mind saving some money and possibly going with a miller tripod

Like this one

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2934..._20_Carbon.html

I need as much help as possible with things to look out of and the advantages and disadvantages of both. I am used to working on a Wal-Mart tripod that broke recently and just about anything be an improvement.

I have Sachtler ENG sticks w/ a video20P head, albeit much more expensive than what you are looking at; I can speak to the quality of the craftsmanship. I have used this, and an 18P head with ARRI SR3s' and a bunch of smaller cameras and they are great. Built very strong, I beat it up and it keeps going. I even brought it out to sand dunes and it was fine.

The only Miller tripod I've used was really old, so it is not a fair comparison; but it was quite sturdy as well.

This question belongs in one of the camera forums not "Gripping". I don't think anyone considers a camera tripod to be grip equipment and a Grip wouldn't handle a tripod or deal with camera gear.

On shoots I've been on in the UK and Ireland, the grip often sets up the tripod. If the camera wasn't on a dolly, they'd automatically do so.

On the other hand, they don't deal with flags etc., the sparks deal with those.

I just bought a used O'Conner 1030 head for $1100 on eBay and got it overhauled at O'Conner for $620. Add my (Bogen 3192 tripod $447 @ B&H) Bogen 3189 mid-level spreader ($42) and I'm all set.

The Bogen heads are generally useless for high-end work but I like the tripods. I've used the 3192 with 3189 and 3067 tripod dolly to support my Porta-jib Traveller working way over spec to move a Varicam package. The tripod didn't even breath hard. Simply keep the bolts tight and adjust the tension on the cam locks for different loads and working conditions.

Now, none of this does the job when you are loading up a serious 35mm package. Then, only Mitchell mount gear will do the job.

M

• 2 weeks later...
This question belongs in one of the camera forums not "Gripping". I don't think anyone considers a camera tripod to be grip equipment and a Grip wouldn't handle a tripod or deal with camera gear.

These are my sentiments exactly...

I see all these question that pertain to camera or lighting ask in the grip section

And it boggles me that people don't understand what grips do.

Grips handle light stands, clamps & hardware, dollies, and flags, and car rigs...

And most anything else that needs rigging

But we don't do camera tripods, tie-ins, lighting boards or dimmers....

We don't handle make-up and script changes either.

But what's the point of ranting...

Next week there'll be someone on this forum asking for help digitizing footage to FCP. :blink: