Russian Tripods

Tyler Henry

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Russian fluid heads.

There's a tripod on eBay right now without much information (item # 290158068157). The seller says its the model 3-HS, and it looks like it must be a fluid head made for Konvas and Kinors.

I've also seen russian heads called the "Penguin" on eBay before as well - anybody know anything about those?

Thanks!

Edited by Tyler Henry

I wouldnt suggest buying a "penguin" as it is a really old camera support and only we use it in our Russian Film school "VGIK"

They are left overs from the soviet era.

It also depends for what camera you want the tripod for.

We get "Pengiuns" for use with Konvas cameras from our school camera department, kinor would need a heavier support.

If i could see a pick off the head i could tell you more about it, we get to experience 'all' the Russian ancient technology here =)

The biggest problem with Russian heads and tripods is not quality, it is that unlike the commiecams, you can't really get a good deal on the tripods, they're as expensive as their western counterparts. An O'Connor 100 will hold the same amount of weight, maybe more, cost less and doesn't have the shipping or wire transfer costs associated with buying a 3-HS in Russia. No Doubt the Russian equipment is well made. MOST Russian equipment from the Soviet era was designed to be reliable and long lasting though not necessarily sophisticated but when it comes to tripods and fluid heads you're probably just as likely to do better sticking with western equipment than having it shipped in from the east. Just my opinion B)

I have a Soviet-era tripod that was a ripoff of a heavy duty Sachtler tripod, the biggest they made at the time. Over the years as parts have worn or camera interns have dropped gear, I've been able to make repairs using Sachtler parts. They fit right in quicker & easier than you can say "patent infringement."