Filmshooting Forum vs. Cinematography Forum

John Adolfi

How do you see the two differ? What flavor do each represent to you?

Filmshooting.com - more diy, more off-topic rants tolerated - more personal friendships developed through it (for me at least), less formal and therefor a bit more wide ranging and relaxed

Cinematography.com - more formal, more industry pro's, more info on actual films in production because of industry types here, more pro, but still welcoming, less off-topic tolerance

I prefer filmshooting.com - but still like this -- I think filmshooting.com has the better super 8 forum, but obviously this one covers more

They compliment each other rather than duplicate each other (despite the duplicate post in the S8 category!! :rolleyes:

Scot

I enjoy them both, and I think you will find many of the same participants in both.

I do find the depth of conversation seems to go a bit deeper (technically speaking) on filmshooting. Maybe it's the nature of the questions being asked, or the feeling of having a safe place to explore the stuff?

Nice thing about the cinematography.com forum is that the user is encouraged to think of their fav format (in this case Super8) in context to the whole world of cinematography and moviemaking, as opposed to filmshooting, which is centered around the hobby/obsession of small format film. I'm on both forums and enjoy each.

Guest mark_baldry

I find posters on Filmshooting.com seem to be a bit more aggressive. they are always having arguments and you have to be very carefull what you say!

i think this forum is more mature and professional.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Forgive my ignorance; what's a nabob?

:D

It's the same as Parvenues, nobs, knobheads; wikipedia-it (again, what would we be without it).

In filmshooting.com-context: wannabe-know-it-alls who actually don't know a lot but think that if they argue really strongly and with aggression, the majority of thread readers will believe them and shout other (maybe more correct but minority) voices down, so that they can prevail.

The "legendary" Santo was what some would describe as a nabob here on ciny.com... although, one must admit, tech-progress over the past year has proven his S8 approach & method somewhat right and feasable...

Edited by Michael Lehnert

• Premium Member
:D

It's the same as Parvenues, nobs, knobheads; wikipedia-it (again, what would we be without it).

In filmshooting.com-context: wannabe-know-it-alls who actually don't know a lot but think that if they argue really strongly and with aggression, the majority of thread readers will believe them and shout other (maybe more correct but minority) voices down, so that they can prevail.

The "legendary" Santo was what some would describe as a nabob here on ciny.com... although, one must admit, tech-progress over the past year has proven his S8 approach & method somewhat right and feasable...

But Santo was thrown off of that forum before this one.

Santo's "Super-8 approach & method" included still image demos that incorporated crappy lighting, an irrational fear of Japanese lenses, and a somewhat unflinching admiration for a company that appears to put profit on a pedestal above all else, I don't see any of those three aspects of his Super-8 approach and method as being right and feasible.

• Premium Member
But Santo was thrown off of that forum before this one.

Yes, I remember... those nabobs seem to have an instinctive dislike towards über-nabobs.

Santo's "Super-8 approach & method" included still image demos that incorporated crappy lighting, an irrational fear of Japanese lenses, and a somewhat unflinching admiration for a company that appears to put profit on a pedestal above all else, I don't see any of those three aspects of his Super-8 approach and method as being right and feasible.

:D *rotf* :D

I love how things develop whenever that alias appears.

- Alex, you are of course absolutely right about Santo vs "Japanazoom" and his pro Pro8mm stance! And indeed: the way he formulated his arguments was abrasive and invited controversy.

However, those threads are still the ones with the highest view counts here.

And: maybe you might agree that some Japanese "press-button-stupid" cameras got plenty of unwarranted attention then which freaked him out as a Zeiss Primes guy; and although apparently having dubious business practices now (I avoid ex-Beaulieu distributors generally - bad kárma - that EXCLUDES Björn in Sweden, of course!!), Super 8 Sound was indeed the first to put negative film emulsions into cartridges on a large scale. And that idea might have influenced Kodak to follow suit now, giving us the best stuff ever (well, almost: fresh 7201, please!)

- Re. the still image demos: hmm, it's normal practice here to offer down-res'd mov-files or reduced-size pictures for us to evaluate film stock or test reels. That's a problem of communication through the "cloud". Can't remember what lighting he wanted to achieve in his short, so I really can't comment whether it was good or bad.

However, wouldn't you agree that more people shoot Super 8 with the intention to get the maximum out of every part and aspect of the production chain now than then? I mean, Santo argued for using Betacam over miniDV for post. Now, people choose Beta or uncompressed-to-HD without much utter, let alone 2K'ing their film with apparently overwhelming visual results. Maybe all that would have come naturally with technical progress. But maybe all those battlefield threads (not least between you and him) dented the S8 universe in a way that made the unthinkable more thinkable...

Anyway, let's move on, film is dead anyhow. Havn't you read in the HD forum..?

[a joke, a joke!]

But your reply post above about Santo: Exquisite. I am still ROTF... :D

What a great overture to Friday night! Have a great week-end, Alex!