Can anyone recommend a case for an XL2

E Mantle

Hi all, pretty straightforward question. i'm looking for a fairly durable case for my XL2, so far i've been able to drive to locations when it's needed so something hard to carry it in hasn't been an issue but i'm doing some work next weekend where i have to take a train... can anyone recommend a good case at a good price? (UK) i'd rather not pay the 350-450 pounds i've seen advertising the Hc-3200 or similar models...

however, if it's worth it i might be persuaded...

another i've been looking at is the Kata CCC-10 which is a more appropriate price...

any thoughts from any people with experience in the matter? thanks v. much.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

I recently got a camera back pack as well and recommend it for smaller cameras.

I am a kata fan and LOVE the orange interiors that help light up the contents. However, I did not like the design of the zippers so I went with a Tamarac. I can fit two super-8 cameras and one Digital 8mm video camera plus a ton of supporting material. One minor flaw however is the imbedded velcro is slightly limiting in its placement. I'm a little bit nervous about how I am packing it however because I noticed the lens on the super-8 camera seemed slightly stiff recently, something I don't recall before I started using the back pack.

What I think is really cool about the back pack is one can keep it prepped at all times and have more of a grab and go situation rather than always prepping different components, especially if one needs more than one camera. The back packs come in different sizes so you are better off buying it from any store that has actual samples they will let you try out.

My two cents, don't go into a store to try it out and then buy it on line for ten bucks cheaper, that is just lame and disrespectful. I'm not accusing you of doing that, I'm just saying it as a karma thing, I think it's in poor taste to use a business location to suck up information and then buy elsewhere.

• 4 weeks later...
I grabbed a KATA backpack. I love it, plus it won't kill your back if you plan on trecking your gear long distances.

Hi Josh Loewen,

Which model of the KATA works best with the XL2? What price did you pay, if you don't mind?

Thanks,

MJ

Edited by Mary J Hasty

Hey,

I managed to pick up an explorer flight case from calumet a couple of years ago. It cost 185 quid, which was a bit of a shock, but has enough space and padding for all the components of my XL2 to be kept separate and safe inside it (plus things like cleaning kit, stock, mains adaptor, polas etc.

Plus side, its safe enough to use it for air transport, and since having it ive never once worried about the camera getting knocked while in the case.

Bad side, its bulky and cant be carried over the shoulder, so not the most comfortable thing if youre walking around and dont have transport.

Still, i can highly recommend going down the flight case option as opposed to the soft bag option... just one less worry in my mind.

Ollie

• 1 year later...

The trouble with the Canon case is not just the price you have to dismantle the camera to its component parts. A nice case but it means assembling the camera before use each time. If that does not bother you then Jessops do a similar case for £65 & it is well made. I have the MA200 adaptor on my camera & do not want to have to re-assemble the unit each time I get it out of the case. I bought a fairly large toolbox & partitioned it with quarter ply. Then lined the required areas with closed cell foam so as to protect the goods. It takes all the extras (I have quite a few) in the various sections & I can take the camera from the box ready to switch on. When travelling I just have the one box to look after, it saves leaving things behind whether at home or on the journey.

Cheers, Albert.