The Last Starfighter - new print

• Premium Member

I just saw a screening at the Nuart (Los Angeles) of "The Last Starfighter".

I'd never seen it and it was a new print so I figured what the hey?

Besides I wanted to see "The Last Starfighter" in a topic title.

Turns out, not such a great movie but a landmark in digital effects work at the time.

So, eveyone's got one. What's your favorite 80's flic?

I'm torn between "VisionQuest" and "The Princess Bride" with "Risky Business", "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", "Syd n Nancy", and "Frantic" following close behind.

And don't throw in Kurosawa's "Ran" or Scorcese's "Raging Bull". We ALL love those movies. I'm talking movies that could ONLY come out of the 80's like "Breakfast Club" or "One Crazy Summer".

• Premium Member
Aliens, Dune, even, Back to the Future even.

More modern films often seem strangely anaemic and lacking in texture compared to these.

Phil

Oh, Tron!

Somewhere in the 90's American studio films turned into something far different than the studio films of the 80's. Of course, Alien was the 70's, but who's counting.

It seems directors took the visual cue from the Scott's and Bruckheimer movies, but ignored the story and character stuff? although; the 90's had a rise in "independent" filmmaking as a result. You can say the same thing about the 50's to 60's and the 70's to 80's as well. They certainly weren?t making Terminator in the 70?s.

?Rain Man?

?Planes Trains and Automobiles?

?Ferris Beuller?s Day Off? (Lots of John Hughes movies)

?The Color of Money? (unless no Scorsese counts)

?Time Bandits?

?The Dark Crystal?

?Gleaming the Cube?

?Rad?

?The Lost Boys?

• Premium Member
I just saw a screening at the Nuart (Los Angeles) of "The Last Starfighter".

I'd never seen it and it was a new print so I figured what the hey?

Besides I wanted to see "The Last Starfighter" in a topic title.

Turns out, not such a great movie but a landmark in digital effects work at the time.

So, eveyone's got one. What's your favorite 80's flic?

I'm torn between "VisionQuest" and "The Princess Bride" with "Risky Business", "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", "Syd n Nancy", and "Frantic" following close behind.

And don't throw in Kurosawa's "Ran" or Scorcese's "Raging Bull". We ALL love those movies. I'm talking movies that could ONLY come out of the 80's like "Breakfast Club" or "One Crazy Summer".

I find "Valley Girl" fascinating because all the kids in it, with those rugby shirts and blow dried haircuts, look so

much more 1977-78 and even the "punky" Nick Cage and his friend could have been from 1979.

"Valley Girl" A 1982 movie supposedly. Could it have been shot in '78 and somebody, realizing that it was

clearly ahead of its time, hushed everybody up and sat on it until it could be released when society could

understand and thus embrace it? I think Congressional hearings may be necessary.

"Pretty in Pink" Can't get much more 80s than that, although how about "Breakin", "Wild Style" (look it up)

'Repo Man", "Manhunter" (The Michael Mann take on "Red Dragon" complete with music evocative

of "Miami Vice".) Not sure if Tangerine Dream did that music although T.D. sure put its 80s stamp on

"Risky Business".

"Electric Dreams" directed by music video maestro director Steve Barron with a quintessential 80s sound

in the title song by Georgio Moroder, a pre-blonde Virginia Madsen (absolutely fall in loveable) the

great but too seldom seen Lenny Van Dohlen and Bud Cort as the voice of whatever prehistoric

computer that thing was.

Return of the Jedi (Best star wars film to date)

Empire strikes back

Bladerunner ( Superb Lighting and new age acting)

Indiana jones and the temple of doom (I was at a really low point in my life when I wtched this my weight had dropped to 10 stone This inspired me in so many ways.)

Beetleguese ( Brilliant performance from Michael Keaton

Top gun ( I will never forget seeing this film surrounded by hoardes of screaming girls. The atmosphere was amazing and so was the film.)

Aliens ( This was one of my favourite effects films for a long time it had it all.)

Wrath of Khan

Lethal weapon. ( The poster of Mel gibson plastered all over the london underground as I was going to webber douglas every day.

Mad max beyond thunderdome. Tina turners great song and the trailer.

Batman (The start of a new series that was probably the best Michael keaton did a great job

Terminater ( Arnold inspirrational and all new.)

ET

Rocky

Predator

Ghosbusters. ( Bill murrays superb comic performance had the world rocking)

Die hard

A nightmare on elm street

Stripes

The shining ( The great steadicam scenes and Jack nicholson unleashed)

Flight of the navigator ( Disneys nice film about aliens somehow I liked it

Gremlins ( Groundbreaking stuff)

Witness. ( Amazing acting and so absorbing Harrison ford at his best.)

• 4 weeks later...

Cant Buy Me Love - You gotta admit they did a great job at making some dirty town in New Mexico (supposedly) look like a very nice, cool, and interesting place to live, which it is, but at least Im not used to getting that from movies, desert scenarios are usually reserved for whacky, weird, surreal movies.. not romantic comedies. Credit goes to concentrating on shooting a story on a desert in the winter-fall-autumn, not the typical hot summer desert.

Lost Boys - How good is a vampire movie atmosphere that goes from real to fantasy (the characters) without the audience noticing it or 'waking up' to the trick?. Same goes for a movie like E.T. for example, but I still think lost boys was an amazing experience.

Breakfast Club - very cool.

Apocalypse Now and at the other end of the spectrum Predator. Then of course there's The Terminator and at the other end of THAT spectrum Weird Science . Ghost Busters and other end The Shining. This Is Spinal Tap and The Right Stuff. E.T and Alien. War Games and Tron. Moonstruck and An American Werewolf in London.

Top Gun and Airplane. Batman and Revenge of the Nerds and And finally The Empire Strikes Back-Return of the Jedi and Spaceballs.

Ishtar - mostly for the funniest rendition ever of "Little Darlin'" - of course who can forget Aliens, simply the most exciting edge-of-your-seat rollercoaster of a film since Terminator, and followed up by Abyss - in any sport they would call that a streak, wtg James Cameron