Post a pic of your Super 8 camera here please.

Matthew W. Phillips

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A camera : Beaulieu 4008 ZMII with Schneider 6-66 f/1,8

3315627761_d4fbf668bb_o.jpg

Same with UWLIII

3399030619_2e7f1d969c_o.jpg

B camera : Beaulieu 4008 ZM with Canon FD 70-210 f/4

3316454472_ea6fff4c01_o.jpg

B camera Original setup with Angenieux 8-64

3316455022_35b72e0452_o.jpg

Other cams :

- Canon 514 XL (I have 2 of them) with accessories - Compact and goes everywhere with me.

kit514.jpg

- Yashica Sound 50 XL - My first S8 camera. Used to be my grand-father's.

yashica.jpg

- Eumig Nautica for underwater / close to the water shots. This one has a scratched PMA lens, a second one is coming home in a few days.

nautica.jpg

Also have a Bauer C Royal 6 E but it has some mechanical problems - no pics.

Lots of Beaulieu owners in this thread. :)

Here's mine, a 4008 ZM 4. Here, with its battery adapter.

4008zm4.th.jpg

I didn't quite understand the suggested methodology for a ratings scale. The ZM4 has a slightly faster top fps rate than the ZM2, but I would rather have the 6-66 Schneider more common on the ZM2's. With its re-celled, working battery, I suppose I would rate this camera model an '8' or a '9'? If someone is new to Super-8 and looking for a recommended camera, obviously the 4008 is a top choice. I find the camera to be a joy to use and also beautifully made, with high-quality parts. An exposed screw behind the film-loading door is chromed, for example.

I also have a Super-8 Sound Crystal Control module for the 4008.

s8soundsync.th.jpg

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I keep thinking I'll find time to look at the circuit and see what's going on, but somehow, I never do. :rolleyes:

The camera would be loud for sync work. You would need to blimp it.

And the last thing to say about the 4008 is, what other Super-8 camera has co-starred (on-screen!) with Ian McShane and Raquel Welch?

- Canon 514 XL (I have 2 of them) with accessories - Compact and goes everywhere with me.

kit514.jpg

My experience with the 514 XL was very positive. I believe that there is a lot of individual variation in Super-8, within film carts and cameras and users, but the footage I got out of a 514 was some of the sharpest, most stable Super-8 footage I have ever shot. The camera is "plastic"-y, and without the features of the 4008 or the Nizo **1, but I found the 514 XL to be an excellent camera.

I also have a Super-8 Sound Crystal Control module for the 4008.

s8soundsync.th.jpg

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I keep thinking I'll find time to look at the circuit and see what's going on, but somehow, I never do. :rolleyes:

The camera would be loud for sync work. You would need to blimp it.

And the last thing to say about the 4008 is, what other Super-8 camera has co-starred (on-screen!) with Ian McShane and Raquel Welch?

Hi Steve,

I have been in consideration about buying a sync module. But after finding out the price around 500-600$ I let that though go.

But I have made a short film with sync sound and made a custom blimp for the camera, it only lowered the sound with approximately 30-40%.

67109857.jpg

Do you know where I can find similar sync modules, as the one you have?

I can also recommend tennis tape for making the focus wheel more easily handled.

f10000013.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by David Odell

Hi David,

I have been in consideration about buying a sync module. But after finding out the price around 500-600$ I let that though go. ... Do you know where I can find similar sync modules, as the one you have?

I'm sorry, but I do not. I got that one by watching eBay obsessively.

The 100% modular design is really an advantage, since I have two 4008's. The fact that it's not working is really a disadvantage, of course. :) There was one other Beaulieu item I found on eBay that I regret not buying ... a 4008 tie-pin.

I have made a short film with sync sound and made a custom blimp for the camera, it only lowered the sound with approximately 30-40%.

I really like your blimp! Do you have direct access to the other side, to the camera controls?

30-40% noise reduction seems reasonable to me. Is that -30% in front of the camera, for an overhead mic, or -30% in the general vicinity of the camera? I once saw a custom-sewn leather-padded jacket on a Nizo and my recollection is that it was not better than -40%, so I think your blimp seems quite good.

Since you have actually make a sync-sound film originating on S-8, do you think holding sync is worth the price? My impression is that with a competent editor and software, you could get satisfactory lip-sync with wild tracks.

• Premium Member

Sorry the photo is a little on the dark side, here we see the black version on the 4008 with 6-80 angenieux, then a custom blimp for the 4008 series of cameras. I have no idea who actually manufactured these blimps, this was an ebay purchase..

post-29386-1249561399.jpg

post-29386-1249561440.jpg

I see various "non-original" eye pece on your Beaulieu cameras...looks like "pro" stuff.

Where do you get them ? Are they "comfortable" / easy to use ?

My original eye pieces aren't really practicle ; it's not that easy to look through as they are really symetric (perfet cone style). Most of the time I have to remove them when I shoot. :(

I've seen your but it looks like mines, these are just original Beaulieu eyecups that's aren't IMO very practicle.

David Odell's or Jorge Rondao's seem different and (maybe) "better"

Those are chamois eye cups, commonly sold at specialized photo stores. They slip over the rubber eye cup of the camera, here's an example:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4446...amois_Oval.html

They make it more comfortable to keep your eye pressed against the cup, reduce sweating, and keep light out of the eyepiece.

Anyone know where to get the Bluestar Chamoises in Europe? Or at least a webshop with reasonable shipping rates.. B&H charge $45 for int. shipping :blink:

I have a B4008ZMII as well and recently bought a new rubber eyecup from wittner in Germany, now I want the chamois to cover it..

Anyways here's a pic of my cam with a custom made battery pack made from CNC'd aluminium:

P6230008.JPG

P6230003.JPG

Anyone know where to get the Bluestar Chamoises in Europe? Or at least a webshop with reasonable shipping rates.. B&H charge $45 for int. shipping :blink:

Hi,

heres a supplier in Sweden: http://www.hofmann.se/produkter/kameratill...kudde-skydd.htm

and Germany: http://www.gecko-cam.com/index.php?id=96

I must ask, I can see that your battery is made out of aluminum, but it is really huge, how many tapes do you calculate to use with that one?

Regarding blimp, it's really necessary when doing post sync sound. Even if you try to kill an frequency it won't go away completely. Somebody will call it suitable others amateur sound. Anyhow, the short film that was made was really appreciated, even though you could hear the flickering sound.

Best,

David

Edited by David Odell

Hi,

heres a supplier in Sweden: http://www.hofmann.se/produkter/kameratill...kudde-skydd.htm

and Germany: http://www.gecko-cam.com/index.php?id=96

I must ask, I can see that your battery is made out of aluminum, but it is really huge, how many tapes do you calculate to use with that one?

Regarding blimp, it's really necessary when doing post sync sound. Even if you try to kill an frequency it won't go away completely. Somebody will call it suitable others amateur sound. Anyhow, the short film that was made was really appreciated, even though you could hear the flickering sound.

Best,

David

Thanks for the links, i contacted them just a few seconds ago see what they say..

The cells are 1600 mAh but i could put in 2200 as well (i just went for the cheaper option, figured 1600 would be enough too) I have shot 15+ carts now and I haven't had to recharge yet. Still running smooth.. I don't know how much the original cells were, i think something like 200-300 mAh and the manual said you could shoot for about 10 carts with that (which i don't believe). I think i could probably do like 20 with my 1600 mAh.

I just made an aluminium housing cause i thought it would be cool. At the time i couldnt find small enough cells to fit in the original housing and i didnt have the original charger to charge through the camera. So I had to find other cells and i had to build a housing which would have enough room to build in a socket to plug the battery to a separate charger. This is how it turned out..

• Premium Member

Alright. Does anyone know where I can buy a 4008 or an R10 for less than $900? I would really like to use a great camera, but Ebay is crazy right now. I haven't seen anything in the sale section lately. Is anyone selling there extras? I don't care how heavy it is, as I'll never use it hand held.

• 1 year later...

So envious. (That's the 10mm anamorphic on one of those beaulieus right?)

[by the way the forum rules are that your display name must be your first name and surname. Just sayin.]

That's not the 10mm anamorphic. I have that lens with the LCU but it is not in the photo.

Thanks for letting me know about the rules. I haven't logged here in a while. I went to digital for a while but film is more fun. :D

My Leicina Special and Nizo Pro:

LeicinaSmall.jpg

NizoWFilm-1.jpg

Leicina 9/10. The good: Superb body constuction and lens, great images. Full manual ASA range is priceless.

The bad: Bizarre ergonomics. Battery compartment is cheap and difficult to deal with. Battery check window and battery check button on opposite sides of camera :rolleyes: Whoever decided to place this heavy camera on such a popsicle stick of a handle must not have had to test shoot with it. The images on film make it all worthwhile, though.

Nizo Pro 9.5/10.

The good: Great construction and lens, great images. Appropriate ergonomics and beautiful Dieter Rams industrial design. Variable shutter easy to work with, automatic time lapse is great.

The bad: Nothing much. A slightly brighter viewfinder would have been nice.

If the Special is the talented, but very eccentric cousin in the family, the Nizo is the dependable, solid uncle. The Nizo is, ultimately, more of my "daily shooter". For family films and such it is just easier to use.

Claus.

Edited by Claus Harding

battery check button on opposite sides of camera :rolleyes: Whoever decided to place this heavy camera on such a popsicle stick of a handle must not have had to test shoot with it. The images on film make it all worthwhile, though.

There is the original shoulder pod with proper grip. Which makes a perfect couple.

But of course the Special is a system camera and needed to have a flat surfaced bottom for proper support mounting.

How could a fixed grip or ergonomic foldable one render a flat surface. Not.

Either it is fixed and in the way of things or it would be fold forward and be in the way of possible lab gear or mounted optics.

Google for Leicina Special and notice how many scientific reports show up where a Leicina was used for studies and registration :)

Guest Glenn Brady

That's not the 10mm anamorphic.

Bob,

What supplementary lens is it? Angénieux? Is the lens support made by Cavision? It's an impressive setup.

Glenn