wesiscam vs phantom

Juan Pablo Ramirez

For cinema, I would recommend the Phantom HD, it is the best technologically performance camera in the industry; but because the company is rather small and technology oriented they have shortcomings with workflow (which is okay at the moment) that will be resolved in the near future. The blacks are truly blacks and its 600 ASA, 42bit colour, high speed 1K+ frame rate, and 11 (almost 12 stops by our testing) it is marvelous for cinema short of the Phantom 65. You can get Mitch to outfit the camera as well as it can be done at the moment.

We've tested the camera in Texas and are pleased with the results except for VR not having it completely cinema ready, but it's coming in the near future. Otherwise the visual results are well worth some of the inconvenience. Oh, by the way, we pushed the sensitivity so it effectively shot at 1200 ASA, and had no appreciable noise in the black. In fact, that's the way we're shooting our INT night scenes, except for the extremely saturated muzzle flash scenes.

If you're going to shoot mostly for HD Television and looking for the cinema-look and high speed with a camera that is studio ready with all the bells and whistles ready to go, then Wesiscam is a fine camera and no doubt, you should be pleased with it. I've not tested the camera personally but have seen results for people I trust.

As a side note: Our DP for the picture we will shortly begin PP, James Mathers, is presently shooting test footage in various locations, one of which will be Chicago where we will be shooting establishing shoots for or feature. This comes after a week of running test specifications on the RED camera. The results are very, very, good. Initial testing showed the RED had 13 stops of latitude. I believe he used Zeiss lenses and probably tested with the Zeiss lenses as I think he has a couple of sets from his film camera he was going to use. The camera has very true and quality color. The images seem to me to look like they were shot with a fine grain film using Cooke lenses. A very lovely picture. Obviously it will not have the gamut of film, but most directors will change the colour palette in their films to establish the look and pallet they want to work with anyway. If all pans out from Jim's evaluation, it appears we will be shooting The Black Messiah Murders with REDs for the contemporary period, and the Phantom HD for our 60-70s period, low light, and high speed. Our stedicam & 2nd Unit DP, Ron Vidor, is a world class camera, stedicam cinematographer seems pleased with the results and seems comfortable with both cameras.

I'd rate the DALSA above the RED for 4K 35mm digital cinema cameras, and for 2K cinematic use, the Phantom HD.

You can contact me directly if you like and I'll give you my Skype ID. I'm very busy at the moment but can answer very specific questions if you like about the Phantom HD.

I hope I was able to help you some. Best to you and your project in Argentina.

Lance Flores

hi, has anybody here worked with the two cameras cause i live in argentina and both cameras have arrived here and i want to know which camera works best, according with the specs of both cameras in paper the phantom is better but i want to know wich camera gives better results

Pablo

2ac

• Premium Member

I'm a fan of the phantom camera right now. The work flow is not easy, and you have to do alot of work to get the best out of your footage, but it is worth it. I have my reel up online at www.studiobattlerattle.com most of it was shot on the Phantom HD. The pictures you get are absolutely amazing. By the way everything on that reel was shot by Kevin Zanit who posts here all the time.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rameshwor
For cinema, I would recommend the Phantom HD, it is the best technologically performance camera in the industry; but because the company is rather small and technology oriented they have shortcomings with workflow (which is okay at the moment) that will be resolved in the near future. The blacks are truly blacks and its 600 ASA, 42bit colour, high speed 1K+ frame rate, and 11 (almost 12 stops by our testing) it is marvelous for cinema short of the Phantom 65. You can get Mitch to outfit the camera as well as it can be done at the moment.

We've tested the camera in Texas and are pleased with the results except for VR not having it completely cinema ready, but it's coming in the near future. Otherwise the visual results are well worth some of the inconvenience. Oh, by the way, we pushed the sensitivity so it effectively shot at 1200 ASA, and had no appreciable noise in the black. In fact, that's the way we're shooting our INT night scenes, except for the extremely saturated muzzle flash scenes.

If you're going to shoot mostly for HD Television and looking for the cinema-look and high speed with a camera that is studio ready with all the bells and whistles ready to go, then Wesiscam is a fine camera and no doubt, you should be pleased with it. I've not tested the camera personally but have seen results for people I trust.

As a side note: Our DP for the picture we will shortly begin PP, James Mathers, is presently shooting test footage in various locations, one of which will be Chicago where we will be shooting establishing shoots for or feature. This comes after a week of running test specifications on the RED camera. The results are very, very, good. Initial testing showed the RED had 13 stops of latitude. I believe he used Zeiss lenses and probably tested with the Zeiss lenses as I think he has a couple of sets from his film camera he was going to use. The camera has very true and quality color. The images seem to me to look like they were shot with a fine grain film using Cooke lenses. A very lovely picture. Obviously it will not have the gamut of film, but most directors will change the colour palette in their films to establish the look and pallet they want to work with anyway. If all pans out from Jim's evaluation, it appears we will be shooting The Black Messiah Murders with REDs for the contemporary period, and the Phantom HD for our 60-70s period, low light, and high speed. Our stedicam & 2nd Unit DP, Ron Vidor, is a world class camera, stedicam cinematographer seems pleased with the results and seems comfortable with both cameras.

I'd rate the DALSA above the RED for 4K 35mm digital cinema cameras, and for 2K cinematic use, the Phantom HD.

You can contact me directly if you like and I'll give you my Skype ID. I'm very busy at the moment but can answer very specific questions if you like about the Phantom HD.

I hope I was able to help you some. Best to you and your project in Argentina.

Lance Flores