diffusion tough spun vs white lee 216

Try each out and test them. Spun is great for video, and can be awsome used right for film. The two are not really comparable. 216 is a heavy diffusion, it smooths out the beam and creates a very soft even field. Spun is a heavy diffusion that adds a slight amount of texture to the beam field.

I use spun a lot for exteriors and for stage work emulating outdoors. ( a hold over from my early years in TV) I like it but I have found that a lot of people dont like it at first.

Experiment.

I use tough spun usually if I just barely want to soften up a light.

One example, I had a romantic dinner scene with 2 x 650w set up for an inside cross key for two actors who were facing eachother. I had full 216 on the actress's key light and just the tough spun for the actor's.

I could have used 216 on both lights, but I felt it was a little too soft for the actor in the scene, I wanted the shadows on his face just a tad sharper than the actress' so we could see more of the subtle details in his face. Whereas the 216 on the actress' light created a great beautifying effect.

So, they both have their uses. Just buy both and keep them in your collection of gels for future use.

• Premium Member

Tough Spun is designed more for spreading light out, rather than softening. Light reflects in all directions off the fibers, while letting a bit of direct light through. Lower-density "spuns" like 1/4 have such gaping holes in it that there's almost no softening, but still a bit of spread.

yeah, tough spun in my opinion is best suited for ENG run and gun since it stands up to months of abuse before showing wear. If your looking very diffused soft light and your on a more production basis then 216 or 250 is your best bet.

I agree, I use spun quite a bit on outdoor stuff for the reasons that you have mentioned, but also because of the noise factor in diffusion. Sometimes in a windy environment you can get that horrible flapping sound out of diffusion, and when you are time critical it is often easier to use spun.

Saying that, I love the look of 216 and 250, its much less harsh.