Ziess 11 -110 zoom Lens

LimHKim

Hi folks,

As an 1st AC for the job, shooting super-16 format using the zeiss 11-110 (Super 16) zoom, I found out the by engaging the macro, i could see the edge of the lens at the 4 corners of the frame. I would like to know if the macro system in the lens can be use to shoot on Super-16 format ??

Thanks

I can't answer your question directly, but let me make a guess as to what is going on. I've shot two films recently with a Zeiss 10-100mm zoom (T2.0) , which is essentially the same lens as you're working with. The Zeiss 11-110mm is the same lens, but it has gone through a conversion (often called an Optex conversion if I'm not mistaken?) which allows it to cover the full Super16 image area. This conversion also makes it slower, I believe it becomes a T2.4?

Anyhow, on the 10-100mm lens, the minimum focus is marked at 5 feet. However, on some or all of the models, the lens will focus inside of this distance. When the lens is focused inside 5 feet, the wider focal lengths (e.g. 10mm) will vignette, essentially shooting the front element of the lens. To avoid this, do not focus inside of 5 feet when set at the wider focal lengths, the idea being that you should have enough depth of field to cover the shot because you're on a 10mm lens.

So... IF the Optex conversion does not solve the vignetting problem (and sounds like it doesn't), you should be able to set the focus ring to 5 feet and be OK. Because the macro ring operates independent of the focus ring, hopefully this will work.

Please note that there's a lot of guess work here, so if anyone has actual experience with this lens, please correct me. Thanks, hope this helps...

The Optex conversio make it a 12-120. Zeiss manufactures the lens as an 11-110. I don't think they even make the 10-100 regular 16mm only lens anymore.

You are correct about the minimum focusing and I agree that this is the likely cause.

Focus the lens further out and use the macro function of the zoom to adjust focus.

• Premium Member

Yeah, I've got a Zeiss 10-100 T2 that does the same thing. It vignettes when wide and focused close. I do what Mike suggested and it works fine.

A few folks, including Paul Duclos in LA will convert your 10-100 T2 to the 11-110 T2.5 (I think it is a 2.5, or 2.4) I guess the Optex conversion is a little different.

And Mitch is right, the 10-100 T2's especially the ones with ARRI B-mount, are getting harder and harder to come by. The DP who worked on our last project was really surprised to see ours. He had been looking for one in the Chicago area for a previous shoot and couldn't find one to rent anywhere.

I really like the lens, but boy does it breathe.

-Tim

Zeiss is fully aware as to how the lens performs. The official MOD (minimum object distance for focus) is five feet, but since the lens does not clip itself on longer focal lenths they allow the focus ring to turn farther, past the point of any markings on the ring.

The 10-100 might be harder to rent as facilities upgrade to more modern glass, but I can assure you they are hardly scarce.

• 4 years later...

Hello Mr. Gross,

we are considering buying the Zeiss 11-100mm T2. I am told this lens is indeed designed for S16, and it's still rented by most of the rental houses. Is this lens worth investing in for S16 production? The other ones we are considering are the:

Canon 8-64 T2.8

Canon 11.5-138 T2.5 (most expensive of the lot)

or Cooke 10.4-54 T2.8

None of the newest Angie S16 zooms are remotely affordable for us. I would be overwhelmingly appreciative for an opinion based on your lengthy experience.

Thank you.

yes it can

Hi folks,

As an 1st AC for the job, shooting super-16 format using the zeiss 11-110 (Super 16) zoom, I found out the by engaging the macro, i could see the edge of the lens at the 4 corners of the frame. I would like to know if the macro system in the lens can be use to shoot on Super-16 format ??

Thanks

Hello Mr. Gross,

we are considering buying the Zeiss 11-100mm T2. I am told this lens is indeed designed for S16, and it's still rented by most of the rental houses. Is this lens worth investing in for S16 production? The other ones we are considering are the:

Canon 8-64 T2.8

or Cooke 10.4-54 T2.8

None of the newest Angie S16 zooms are remotely affordable for us. I would be overwhelmingly appreciative for an opinion based on your lengthy experience.

Thank you.

It depends how important the breathing while you pull focus is to you. Neither the Canon 8-64 or Cooke 10.4-54 breathe to a noticeable extent and they focus a lot closer than the longer zoom range lenses.

• Premium Member
Canon 8-64 T2.8

or Cooke 10.4-54 T2.8

Of the three, I strongly prefer the Cooke 10.4 - 54 T2.8. It's a little slower than the Zeiss, but I really like the warmth of the image, and the image is "snappy"(kind of a combination of contrast and sharpness I think). The Zeiss 11-110 T2.2 (the factory Super 16 lens, not the converted 10-100 T2) would be my second choice, plenty sharp, a little cool, and lot's of breathing.

Not a big fan of the Canon Zooms. Have not used them, but have looked at them on a lens projector in the shop, and wasn't impressed with their sharpness.

Just my opinion.

Best,

-Tim