Hand crank Mitchell models

Patrick Neary

A question for the Mitchell-maniacs here-

Are the NC and GC models as easily set up for hand-cranking as the standard? Looking at the side of a standard, there's a hole (almost dead center) specifically for a hand-crank- do these other models have that as well?

And are hand cranks impossible to find? Do most folks (you know, the legions of hand-crankers out there) just fashion their own handle?

thanks-

• Premium Member

Are the NC and GC models as easily set up for hand-cranking as the standard? Looking at the side of a standard, there's a hole (almost dead center) specifically for a hand-crank- do these other models have that as well?

And are hand cranks impossible to find? Do most folks (you know, the legions of hand-crankers out there) just fashion their own handle?

thanks-

Hi Patrick,

GC's had a hand crank as standard equipment, for when the military ran out of power. The hand crank unit is geared. 2 different gearing, standard & high speed, I never got much past 64 fps when I tried! I bought mine like the camera on Ebay.

Stephen

post-3524-1190793996_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member
thank you Stephen!

So I take it the gear box/crank contraption is necessary and you can't just stick any old coffee-grinder handle in there and crank away the same way you could with an 2709 or eyemo?

Hi Patrick,

The whole door & gear box is 1 unit. 1 turn of the crank in normal speed is 8 frames & (64 frames?) with the higher speed. I am not at home to check but possibly you could get something to work on it's own.

I will have a play & update this thread in the next few days.

Stephen

aha-

well, while I have you captive, I'm also wondering about the mags- I've got this traid-adapted eyemo with a back that takes Mitchell mags, but the mag that came with it has a 2" pulley, although it looks like a Mitchell-made piece, not aftermarket. (you can see a pic of it waaaay down the list in "classifieds")

when I tried to run the camera with a standard mag (3" pulley) of course it takes up too slowly and the film piles up in the feed side. Did Mitchell ever make mags with 2" pulleys for some reason, or is this completely a Traid modification?

And there are separate mags for the Standard vs the NC (and BNC) if I understand correctly, so which does the GC take?

sorry for the barrage!

thanks-

A some ideas about hand-cranking cameras.

I don't know about Mitchell cameras, but, i can recommend Konvas-1 ( KSR-1, KSR-1M ) camera at hand-cranking version.

This is camera can have additional device with hand crank and gear and setup instead of DC motor.

from other side, Konvas-1 have mechanical speed regulator inside of body and you can control of speed of shooting at hand-cranking mode.

If you wish know more about Konvas-1 or need pictires of camera with hand crank, can ask me.

• Premium Member

Hi Patrick,

Don't know the answer to the 2" / 3" question!

Beware there are 2 styles of Mitchell Mags. The Ones for the BNCR / MK II are slightly thicker an won't fit a Standard / GC. The Standard / GC mags can be used with an adapter on a MK II, I found this out the hard way!

Stephen

PS I only know about Mitchell's as they still have a use today in VFX today. Last week I shot for 4 days with 2, every take @120 fps what fun! Only used 1600' of film in total, about 15' a take!

aha-

well, while I have you captive, I'm also wondering about the mags- I've got this traid-adapted eyemo with a back that takes Mitchell mags, but the mag that came with it has a 2" pulley, although it looks like a Mitchell-made piece, not aftermarket. (you can see a pic of it waaaay down the list in "classifieds")

when I tried to run the camera with a standard mag (3" pulley) of course it takes up too slowly and the film piles up in the feed side. Did Mitchell ever make mags with 2" pulleys for some reason, or is this completely a Traid modification?

And there are separate mags for the Standard vs the NC (and BNC) if I understand correctly, so which does the GC take?

sorry for the barrage!

Thanks again Stephen! I realize these inquiries are probably more suited to a collector or historian...:)

Also thanks for the suggestion Olex, I've seen the gray Konvas with the side-crank, it looks very intriguing and I may have to try out one of those too! (did they ever make 400' mags for that model?)

Also thanks for the suggestion Olex, I've seen the gray Konvas with the side-crank, it looks very intriguing and I may have to try out one of those too! (did they ever make 400' mags for that model?)

The hand crank can be on all versions of Konvas-1 ( grey, black, other ).

Konvas-1 can be at two versions of manufacturers, from KMZ and from MosKinap.

This is versions of cameras have differ a film magazines.

The Moskinap Konvas-1 compatible with magazines of Konvas-1M, Konvas-2M cameras.

KMZ Konvas-1 - not.

That's why, you can take 400 ft magazine from Konvas-1M, 2M and attach on Konvas-1 Moskinap ( mostly black color ).

And, you will have hand-craking camera with 400 ft magazine and mechanical speed control system.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
thank you Stephen!

So I take it the gear box/crank contraption is necessary and you can't just stick any old coffee-grinder handle in there and crank away the same way you could with an 2709 or eyemo?

Hi Patrick,

I had a look at my hand crank gearbox. There are 2 'crank' points, one turns one to one & one turns eight to one. Therefore you could crank directly, probably ok to do occasionally but they designed the gearbox for a reason so I would not recommend extensive hand cranking without one.

Stephen

I wonder if that's an isue with the GC, I see old photos of James Wong Howe and others cranking away on standards that seem to be driven directly. Someone has a standard on fleabay at the moment (pl mount, no less!) that also appears to be sans-gearbox.

• Premium Member
I wonder if that's an isue with the GC, I see old photos of James Wong Howe and others cranking away on standards that seem to be driven directly. Someone has a standard on fleabay at the moment (pl mount, no less!) that also appears to be sans-gearbox.

Hi Patrick,

Probably the gearbox on the GC is for higher speeds, that would make sense.

Stephen