HD Prime

tristan

on the zooms i reckon its a bit neglible really. i also think its a bit neglible using the SD lenses on the HD cameras... but i stand to be corrected...

Gottaq disagree here. I can see a big difference between SD & HD zooms. Especially in chromatic abberation and corner sharpness. I find that HD zooms always make SD cameras look better, so it is certainly worth it.

I agree with Mitch, we own a Canon 9x5.2 SD Broadcast lens and a Canon 21x7.8 HD lens.  The HD is sharp to the edges.  The difference is almost like going from a Pro line lens to a broadcast lens.  We use it on an SDX900... standard def 50mbs mode is very similar to digibeta.

j

When I tested HD lenses on digibeta 6 years ago even the director saw the difference!

But since then both SD lenses and to a lesser degree HD lenses have improved so the difference is less.

As I understand it lens coatings for HD are different, meaning they are more susceptable to flare but dig deeper into shadows.

You'll notice improved shadow rendition, especially if you are using a 12bit SD camera.

Edge to edge sharpness is better on HD.

Mike Brennan

Hi..I would like to know what does it mean of 12 bit SD Camera and SD Lenses?

Thanks.

When we refer to bits on the camera it usually refers to the conversion of the analouge signal from the ccd into the digital domain, or A/D.

The more bits the better. 8 bit is a little crass and not used in braodcast cameras.

10bit is smoother and used in many cameras, 12bit is better providing more tomes and smoother transitions 14bit is very good and currently only available in SD camera heads.

The more bits the better the dynamic range (within the limits of the ccd).

When refer to recording 10bit is considered very good. (Varicam and HDCAM are 8 bit recording)

SD = standard definition ie PAL or NTSC cameras and recorders.

Mike Brennan

The color landing spec is actually a tiny bit different for HD. (R, G, B rear focus).

That said, digiprimes rock on an MSW900. Wide open no prob.

I don't know for sure if the MSW cameras are designed around the HD spec or not.

-Sam

I heard from our local Fuji dealer that they are stopping production on the SD lens elements. Why have 2 different factories making elements? They said that they are starting to put HD spec glass in SD lenses because it's cheaper to make all of one type of glass. I don't know how far into the process this goes, but that's all he said. It would be like Honda stopping production on a lot of "Honda" parts and just make more Acura parts to put in Hondas.

Jason