Zeiss 10-100 T2 Mk1 zoom lens

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

For Sale, Optically Pristine Zeiss 10-100 T2 Mk1 T* zoom lens in ARRI bayonet mount. I've owned this lens for four years and it has always been taken care of by Paul Duclos of Duclos Lenses in LA.

Here are Paul's comments on the lens.

"I looked at the Zeiss 10 - 100 today and here's what I saw. Front and rear elements are in good shape. Image quality above average throughout zoom range. Well centered optics. No focus shift when reversing zoom, a common problem with 10 - 100's. Zoom mechanics feel good. Overall the lens is very nice. It will perform well and take nice pictures." -Paul Duclos

ZeissZoom.jpg

I haven?t used this lens since Paul overhauled it in February of 2006, because I no longer have the camera I used it with. So it's for sale.

ZeissReceipt.jpg

$1850

Thanks,

-Tim

tim@arri16s.com

• Premium Member
Tim, that is one nice Lens

Thanks Martin. It is in really nice shape, and a perfect candidate for Super 16 conversion.

Paul Duclos will convert the lens to a Super 16 12-120 T2.4 lens with a PL mount for under $3000. So you could get a very nice Zeiss Super 16 zoom for under $4850. Another Zeiss 12-120 T2.4 converted lens is on eBay right now with a starting bid of $7500. So it's not only a nice lens, it is a good deal.

Thanks again Martin,

-Tim

• Premium Member

Tim, since you owned some Mk1 primes as well, how would you say this lens compares in terms of sharpness? I'm getting ready to start acquiring some nice cine glass for my aaton, and I'm in the deciding phase of whether or not to get a zoom like this, or spend around the same amount on a set of Mk1 primes. I shoot a lot for HD telecine so sharpness is the name of the game for me.

• Premium Member
Tim, since you owned some Mk1 primes as well, how would you say this lens compares in terms of sharpness? I'm getting ready to start acquiring some nice cine glass for my aaton, and I'm in the deciding phase of whether or not to get a zoom like this, or spend around the same amount on a set of Mk1 primes. I shoot a lot for HD telecine so sharpness is the name of the game for me.

Adam,

If you can find a set of Zeiss Mk1 primes in good shape for what I'm selling this lens for ($1850), buy them. If you can find a set of Zeiss Mk1 primes in as good of shape as this zoom lens is for the price of this lens and the Super 16 conversion (under $4850), buy them. I'm just afraid that to get a set of Zeiss Mk1 primes (9.5, 12, 16, & 25) in the condition of this zoom lens, is going to cost you upwards of $8,000. Visual Products has a set for $7500, but I would question if they are optically as nice. Maybe they are, don't really know.

I'm not gonna BS you, as a rule of thumb the primes are going to be sharper than a zoom. You can see a brief bit of footage shot with this zoom on an LTR camera, along with footage shot with a Zeiss Super Speed Mk1 9.5mm, and 16mm, and a few Cooke Kinetals, at the web link below.

Footage of this zoom set at 50mm T2

All the lenses were shot wide open, so naturally you are a stop faster with the Zeiss primes. They were set at T1.3 and the Cooke's and the Zoom were set at T2. But it is a very sharp zoom. The link above is to a large file (9.5MB) so give it some time to load. The footage starts off with the Cooke's, then the two Zeiss Super Speeds, and finally the Zeiss zoom I'm selling, set at 50mm.

-Tim

• Premium Member
Now Tim.... you see how you are? bad man! hehe

Yes I'm definitely thinking about this lens, the only think is they told me that breathes a little bit.

Hey they shot Primer on this lens, and that looked great.

Thanks Tim hopefully I could get it in a few weeks

Martin, Martin, Martin,

You are always telling me you are going to buy something I am selling, and it always ends up going to someone else. :rolleyes:

The Zeiss zooms are known for breathing, but if you notice what Paul Duclos said about this lens, "No focus shift when reversing zoom, a common problem with 10 - 100's." He's the lens expert, so I'm taking him at his word.

Cheers buddy,

-Tim

• Premium Member
Adam,

If you can find a set of Zeiss Mk1 primes in good shape for what I'm selling this lens for ($1800), buy them. If you can find a set of Zeiss Mk1 primes in as good of shape as this zoom lens is for the price of this lens and the Super 16 conversion (under $4800), buy them. I'm just afraid that to get a set of Zeiss Mk1 primes (9.5, 12, 16, & 25) in the condition of this zoom lens, is going to cost you upwards of $8,000. Visual Products has a set for $7500, but I would question if they are optically as nice. Maybe they are, don't really know.

I'm not gonna BS you, as a rule of thumb the primes are going to be sharper than a zoom. You can see a brief bit of footage shot with this zoom on an LTR camera, along with footage shot with a Zeiss Super Speed Mk1 9.5mm, and 16mm, and a few Cooke Kinetals, at the web link below.

Footage of this zoom set at 50mm T2

All the lenses were shot wide open, so naturally you are a stop faster with the Zeiss primes. They were set at T1.3 and the Cooke's and the Zoom were set at T2. But it is a very sharp zoom. The link above is to a large file (9.5MB) so give it some time to load. The footage starts off with the Cooke's, then the two Zeiss Super Speeds, and finally the Zeiss zoom I'm selling, set at 50mm.

-Tim

I miss spoke. I realize that I would end up spending more $ with primes, but I was looking at an initial investment of about the same for either a zoom or primes.

• Premium Member
Were the cookes in that quicktime the same as the ones commonly found in Arri S packages? If so, I didn't realize that any of them would cover super16.

Here are links to the lenses I'm referring to.

cooke 17.5

cooke 25

Well, yes and no and maybe.

First off, yes those three Cooke lenses in the film clips also happen to fit the Arriflex 16S, and 16M. They are ARRI standard mount, but a little different than what most people think of when they think of ARRI standard mount. The mounts on these lenses turn when you focus the lens, the whole barrel of the mount turns. I had to make up a special Aaton to ARRI/Cooke mount to use those on the Aaton camera. The 12.5, 17.5, and 25 all cover Super 16 no problem. I assume the Cooke Kinetal 37.5, the 50, and the 75 also cover would Super 16. The only one that I know does not cover Super 16 is the Cooke Kinetal 9mm.

Second, the two lenses you link to on the VP site, the first one is a Cooke Kinetal 17.5. The second one is the wrong picture. Not sure what that lens is, looks kind of like a first or second generation Speed Panchro, but I am really not sure. It is not a Cooke Kinetal 25mm lens like the one used on the clip I posted.

Third, these lenses are really old, like from the 1950's. And they can be all over the map. I got the three that were used in that test from Visual Products, we went through their whole stock and found the best ones. Then I took them all apart, cleaned all the elements, and rebuilt them and collimated them. They are now my babies and by far my favorite 16 mm format lenses. They are sharp and snappy. I have seen lenses of the same focal length and same age, all Cooke Kinetals, and they have looked awful. It is really luck of the draw, and having them gone over and cleaned and set properly.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member
Well, yes and no and maybe.

First off, yes those three Cooke lenses in the film clips also happen to fit the Arriflex 16S, and 16M. They are ARRI standard mount, but a little different than what most people think of when they think of ARRI standard mount. The mounts on these lenses turn when you focus the lens, the whole barrel of the mount turns. I had to make up a special Aaton to ARRI/Cooke mount to use those on the Aaton camera. The 12.5, 17.5, and 25 all cover Super 16 no problem. I assume the Cooke Kinetal 37.5, the 50, and the 75 also cover would Super 16. The only one that I know does not cover Super 16 is the Cooke Kinetal 9mm.

Second, the two lenses you link to on the VP site, the first one is a Cooke Kinetal 17.5. The second one is the wrong picture. Not sure what that lens is, looks kind of like a first or second generation Speed Panchro, but I am really not sure. It is not a Cooke Kinetal 25mm lens like the one used on the clip I posted.

Third, these lenses are really old, like from the 1950's. And they can be all over the map. I got the three that were used in that test from Visual Products, we went through their whole stock and found the best ones. Then I took them all apart, cleaned all the elements, and rebuilt them and collimated them. They are now my babies and by far my favorite 16 mm format lenses. They are sharp and snappy. I have seen lenses of the same focal length and same age, all Cooke Kinetals, and they have looked awful. It is really luck of the draw, and having them gone over and cleaned and set properly.

Best,

-Tim

Wow, thanks for all that info. Maybe next time I'm in Ohio (december) I'll have to drive out to VP and do the same thing you did with going through their stock if they have any.

Was the making of the adapter a pretty involved thing? Do you think it could be something that VP could do for me (or you)?

BTW, was that test shot on 7217?

thanks,

adam

• Premium Member
Wow, thanks for all that info. Maybe next time I'm in Ohio (december) I'll have to drive out to VP and do the same thing you did with going through their stock if they have any.

Was the making of the adapter a pretty involved thing? Do you think it could be something that VP could do for me (or you)?

BTW, was that test shot on 7217?

thanks,

adam

Adam,

I did not go out to Visual Products, I worked with them over the phone. They just happened to have quite a few of the Cookes listed on their web site at that time, this was a number of years ago. I got them to send me their best of the three Cooke lenses. I sent one back and got another. Then I took the three lenses and reworked them to get them to where they are now.

No, I would doubt Visual Products could make you an adapter for the Cookes to work with an Aaton, it is a very tricky adapter to make. Possibly Les Bosher could make you one, you should talk with him.

I think the test was shot on 7218, the 500T stock, but I am not really sure, it was quite a while ago.

-Tim

HE HE HE

Tim, my man, I'm always looking for a great deal, once I buy I stay with that gear for a while, so I'm trying to find the best bet for me

This looks great, and I been eying this lens for while.

Anyhow Hopefully I can get it

ps: when Paul converts the lens can he include a PL mount in that price?

pss: hey I'm still wating for your call or email, for that piece that you sent me, if I get some normal instruccions I will be able to fix it myself

Best

• Premium Member
ps: when Paul converts the lens can he include a PL mount in that price?

Yes, Paul can convert the mount to PL when he converts the lens to Super 16.

-Tim

pss: Email me about the camera power socket I gave you, I thought you had that fixed already.