City / Regional Sub Forums?

Tim Tyler

I was thinking of adding some regional or even city-based subforums here. Might be a good opportunity for members in the same area to hear what's going on, post local events, or arrange get-togethers.

Cities like NYC, SFO, L.A., Boston, Seattle, and London are natural candidates, but it would not be practical to have subforums for every big city in the world.

What do you think?

• Premium Member

I think that would be a very good idea, Tim.

I managed a regionalisation of that kind for a pan-European film group, and it was hugely successful, with regular online networking, regional come-togethers, meet&greets events, special screenings etc. resulting from that. I think it should be definitely tried you.

Now, US hubs like SF, LA, NY are probably are given to become a subforum. CA's Toronto or Vancouver are also good candidates, I gather.

In Europe, London is also a given to become a sub-forum (maybe doubling for the UK - ahh, city imperialism, I know...). I think "we here" would most profit from something like that as the UK has a well-working film industry and indie scene, but there isn't a social culture around that as you find it in California (obviously, as its much more important there than here).

There are quite many UK-/US-originating active members (DoPs, ACs etc.) that are based in Switzerland (which surprised me), so that could become another (country-centred) subforum of its own, too. It's closeness (geographically & language-wise) to France, Italy, Austria and Germany where there aren't that many members might make it an attractive hub for starters, too. (aren't there any members from Paris or Munich here?)

Sounds good to me!

As far as content its a good opportunity to post events, workshops, screenings, or even a less formal crew call.

I'm sure there are a lot of student DP's like myself that wouldn't mind day or two of free labor in the neighborhood to learn a little.

Perhaps some State subforums would be good for DP's working out of town to get acquainted with rental houses, crew, etc...

• 2 weeks later...

All right then.

Here's a few cities to get us started. Add to this thread if you want to recommend other cities.

Remember to keep discussions at least remotely related to cinematography.

These regional subforums are meant to bring members closer together, so don't post competitive messages advertising your services or gear. Keep it friendly.

(If you can think of a better category name than "Offline Cinematography Communities" let me know.)

I'm going to hold off on Philidelphia for now.

If your city's not represented here yet, post a "City Name" (i.e. Philidelphia) thread in this forum, and if there's any interest, we'll create an official sub forum for it.

FYI - Here are the stats from Alexa.com for cinematography.com users:

United States 34.8%

Switzerland 9.1%

India 7.6%

Taiwan 6.1%

United Kingdom 6.1%

Uruguay 4.5%

Italy 3.0%

Philippines 3.0%

Puerto Rico 3.0%

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Definitely need an Austin one. I know lots of people from Austin post on here. Actually making it Texas might be better. Most films here shoot all over Texas, and there are already a number of other forums for specific countries. That way even the guy from El Paso can join in.

~Jess "yes I refered to Texas as a country" Haas